Friday, March 12, 2021

Back in Person! Freshmen Week

Schools entered Stage 4 on Wednesday. Shane's teacher, Ms. Taylor, was assigned to teach the hybrid class, so he was assigned a new teacher, Ms. Tobey. She'll be his third teacher this year after Mr. Bahn left.....and she's pregnant with an April due date. Shane will have a FOURTH teacher when that happens.

But that's a future problem. 

Shane's new class time starts at 8:30 AM instead of noon. He was online before my school started.


Wednesday morning, I woke up, did horse chores, showered, grabbed stuff, and scrambled to school! It's the first morning commute I've made in nearly a year.


This week was something of a trial week. Only freshmen were in the building. Since none of them had ever been in the school it made sense to let them have an orientation day to learn their way around before the older students came back.

The largest number of students I had in person for a class was 4. The smallest, 1. 


It felt odd trying to talk to real people and the computer simultaneously. It felt like I was ignoring people in the room when I looked into the computer and like I was ignoring the students on the computer when I focused on those in the room. It's going to take some getting used to.

I did notice something new in the background the camera lens caught.


Someone put a pro wrestler figure on my whiteboard and even lined up clips to support his feet!


Scott had punked me! I knew it was him right off the bat. The clips showed too much attention to detail and Marcel wouldn't have been able to hold it in if it was him!

Getting to see people in person is the definite advantage to being in the building again. I enjoy being a part of a community!

Thursday, Carrie seemed far too eager for me to finish horse chores. She wanted to play dress up. She'd bought a "Sexy Math Teacher" ensemble and had it laid out on the bed for me. I didn't realize she was photographing me at first when I came out of the room!

She made me pose before I left. Loki wanted to go with me, but had to stay home.


Next week it will get real. The freshmen were all wide-eyed and bushy tailed this week. Next week it won't be as new and overwhelming and there should be a lot more kids in the building. My biggest class size will be 7 instead of 4 if nothing changes between then and now.

Carrie stayed home with Shane and sent me cat pictures.


I assume these are the first of many.


Not that Carrie didn't send me cute cat pictures when I was at home, but being away means the number will only increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment