Thursday, March 25, 2021

Getting Some Games In!

Target had a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale early February, so I made my first board game purchases of the year. I really wanted to play more games as a family. I picked up The Princess Bride Adventure book game to lure in Carrie (and maybe rewatch the movie). Minecraft Builders and Biomes was to lure in Shane. 

Only it didn't work. 

No one played with me.

I could have forced the issue, but that's not how I roll. I want playing together to be a choice. I almost pulled it off a few times, but it always unraveled. Shane said he only wanted to play if Carrie did and somehow it never happened (Sometimes Shane got the dog barking crazy right before sitting everyone down, sometimes Carrie fell asleep on the couch...).

The third game was just for me.

I used to love the LOTR LCG, but my collection was stolen when someone broke into our moving storage. I wrote it off as "I don't need it to be happy and I'm not paying for the same stuff twice." 

Technically, it's still true. To play 4 players, you have to buy two core sets. I only bought one, so the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale let me get a second core set for 'free.' I figured it might be fun for nostalgia or to play if I ever had time. 

I hadn't played a month later, but for some reason expansions kept popping up in my online shopping cart. "No, I don't need these," I said and emptied the shopping cart.

Two days later a 15% sale went live. I can't tell you if the devil was tempting me or if God was rewarding me, but I pulled the trigger.


I should have enough content to keep me busy for a year....not that I've played it yet (It's funny how finding something at a great price is a bit of a game on it's own.....and a darned slippery slope).

I didn't give up on the idea of playing more family games, though. I shifted my strategy to buy a game just to play with Carrie and a game just to play with Shane.


That worked! Shane bit and we got a bunch of games of Zombie Teenz in. It's a legacy style game where the more you play you unlock new things. We really enjoyed the first game in the series, Zombie Kidz, before the pandemic ever hit.

Carrie's a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so I hoped to get her to play Marvel Champions with me over Spring Break. I got her to play a learning round with me while Shane was at Nana and Pop's, so the chances are good!

I'd still like to get the whole family to play some games at some point, but that may have to wait for life to get less busy. It should happen at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment