Thursday, December 5, 2013

Password Paranoid

Every year, I am required to change a full gamut of passwords.* December 1st is the deadline for my annual login.

Normally, not worth a mention.

I decided to turn an annoying exercise into something constructive: a memory aid.**

I zipped in a new password with part of my anniversary included.

And then I stopped to think.

I botched the date.***

I spent the next 10 minutes trying to come up with some sort of new password that I could remember and would fit the security criteria.****

The network stonewalled me.

On the bright side, my new password is now firmly ingrained in my memory....until next year!



*I'm sure all the government workers I know would laugh at that statement ("Yearly?!? Try every other Thursday!")

**It's the first thing to go! What were we talking about?

***If my wife is reading this: Remember, my intentions were good!

**** http://xkcd.com/936/ says it all. When I can't type in a 15 character sentence because some part of it somewhere resembles one of my many passwords from the past five years it's annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment