Saturday, October 22, 2016

U8 Soccer Game #3

Soccer. Went. Fantastic!


I've tried to avoid bribes. I want soccer to be the reward. However, it hasn't worked. I decided to give Shane an achievable goal to try and create a positive experience and get Shane over the slump. "Every time you kick the ball away from someone is 1 point. If you get enough points, you can have computer later," I said.

"What if I dribble?" Shane asked.

"1 point."

"What if I get a goal?"

"10 points. I don't care if you win, you're winning to me if you help your team and win points."

We've had many discussion about trying.

Well, Shane tried. He scored a goal, too. Only it was on the wrong side of the field!


Absolutely hysterical. I kept it positive and didn't laugh. Shane ran around, tried, and had fun because of it (I'm sure the computer bribe helped, too).


We had a positive experience. That's what I wanted. Hopefully, Shane remembers and it sticks. Our team is not going to win much if any. They fit the lovable misfits role. The other team was all male, all experienced, all serious. Their coach wore a tie, yelled for crosses, and only called back throw-ins if his kids weren't ready.

Our kids made dog piles during water break.


I like our team philosophy better. The coaches probably have the kids work on corner kicks, goal kicks, and throw ins Monday. I think we're all new to U8, so everyone's still learning the basic format of the game. It's a step up from the hot shots horde.

In the end, teams that play together snack together.


I was thrilled to see Shane play and have fun. There are only a few games left, so I hope we finish the season on a high note!

No comments:

Post a Comment