Monday, December 20, 2021

CUPOL'd with a Drone?

Monday was "Catch Up On Life Day" (or CUPOL Day for short?).

Lots of laundry was done. Dishes, too. Shane was required to clean the floor of his room, and I hope to vacuum it (eventually). 

However necessary it was (very), it'd be a boring day to write a blog post about.

Minus one new thing Shane and I played with.


I saw the ASC-2400 HD Video Drone on sale at Costco for $50. I picked it up on a whim thinking it'd be fun for Shane and I to experiment with and I could add some aerial photography to my life and blog.

First discovery - No audio. That should have been obvious, because the only audio the drone would pick up would be it's own rotors. 


It flew much better than our previous drones. Hopefully, it will last longer, too!


The video quality was not what I'd call HD, but as Carrie put it: "How much did you pay? $50? That's not a drone, it's a toy."


Carrie's not wrong. The battery lasted less than 5 minutes. I got a 2:57 video before the feed stopped. The drone flew around maybe 30 seconds more before I landed it for Shane's turn....only the warning beeps started. Shane never got a chance to take off!

The drone didn't live up to my greatest hopes, but if it proves a reliable training drone and we enjoy it enough I may invest in a fancier model one day. 


I flew it in the house to get a few pictures and Loki went out of his barking mind (and nearly drove Carrie out of hers!).

No comments:

Post a Comment