Monday, June 23, 2014

End of the Year: Field Trip!

My team went on a field trip to the Newseum last week. It went really well! I was chaperoning, but I managed to take a few pics.

The first exhibit we saw was about the Berlin Wall.


There were no ladders in the guard tower, but you could walk in and look up.


Then there was graffiti on the West Berlin side. My family visited Checkpoint Charlie when we visited Matze, our exchange student, in Berlin. Very cool.


I don't know if this was the statue from the photo or a replica. Either way, it was neat. I remember seeing images of this online when the war in Iraq first began. There were plenty of memes about the Iraqi propaganda minister saying "What Americans? There are no Americans here!"


Another branch on the first floor had a bunch of different criminals that had been in the news. My work buddy, Matt, struck a pose!


The museum was information overload. There had to be thousands of front pages of newspapers on one floor alone. I guess that sums up the media pretty accurately, though.

Then, I found something a little less serious.


Seriously, there was a whole floor devoted to Anchorman.


I got a huge kick out of that. I had not seen the trailers for Anchorman when it first came out. My siblings wanted to see it in Texas, and I tagged along more for a lack of anything better to do than any interest. I actually believed the "This is based on a true story" line that lead off the movie.

That made me laugh all the harder when I realized the truth.

The kids really liked the 4-D movie, but I don't have pictures of that. I do have pictures of their next big favorites: the gift shop and the big screen.


We spent the last forty minutes of the trip with half the kids refusing to leave the gift shop and the other half watching World Cup. Colombia looked really good against the Ivory Coast!


I like field trips. They're exhausting, but they're different. That makes it more fun for us and the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment