Thursday, October 2, 2014

Work Differences: Schedules

The biggest difference for me this year is the schedule.

Last year, I saw all of my classes every day. There were 8 periods with 4 minutes in between classes. 

This year, I'm on a block schedule. I see half as many classes per day, but they're double the length with 7 minutes to wander from here to there.

Block scheduling is not a bad thing. It is different. I really enjoyed it when I was a student. I am adjusting to it as a teacher.

Pros:
Longer periods mean less time transitioning into the period every day.
Longer periods mean you can plan bigger activities.
Less periods means less running around the building all day in and out.
I had a difficult student miss my class two days in a week. We only met twice that week.

Cons:
The student who missed my class twice was now a week behind and needed to catch up (ouch).
Longer periods require more planning, so that the kids aren't sitting around the whole time.
Longer periods take a longer time to survive!

I used to see my students every day. In a year without snow, that means they would walk into my room 183 times. With block scheduling, I will see each class half that. I see them for twice as long, but it feels like there are gaps sometimes. It makes me feel less connected, less on the pulse than I used to be. For example, one student had an event-worthy day (and how) on the day they didn't see me. Then they came back the next day and I would have never known if I didn't hear about it through the grapevine (several days later). When I saw my kids every day there was no way a gap in the day would have go unnoticed. I used to be aware of what clothes kids wore to see if they were wearing the same outfit multiple days in a row, but now that there's a gap I have no clue. 

Then again, I think I am the most caught up on grading, organized, and well-planned as I've ever been. I have what are colloquially known as 'heaven' and 'hell' days. One day I have no breaks save a 25 minute lunch. I normally work through it. The other day I have two back to back planning periods for hours on end. Now, I know that if I don't plan and take care of business in that block I am completely screwed on my 'hell' days. Because there aren't bells and transitions throughout the school it's mostly uninterrupted, so I'm not dashing all around trying to fit too much into too little. 

It's different. Plenty of pros, some obvious cons, but working out so far regardless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment