Monday, October 12, 2015

Does It Ever Get Easy?

I keep waiting for the moment when I've been at it long enough, learned the skills, put in the work, and life becomes easy.

Hasn't happened yet.

The difficulty scales.

The present challenge is always the consuming one. There's always a new one on the horizon, too.

It's the way the world works.

I love my life, but it's rarely easy. Each day has enough trouble of it's own to keep me occupied.

As a kid, I assumed there would be some milestone or watershed moment when I got it right and it was downhill from there. After 7th grade, there was 8th, though. After high school was college. After college there was a job hunt. After I became a teacher, I got better at it each year. Yet each year the kids do their best to drive me crazy as another class waits in the wings to follow suit. After being single for years, I met Carrie. After we dated, we got engaged, then married, and then we had a kid. One day, I hope Shane has a kid (after he's happily married and with a means to support said child, of course).

A new challenge at every turn.

I've got no clue how it will all turn out, but that's part of the beauty of it when I'm not worn out by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment