Sunday, October 18, 2015

Run to Roanoke

Shane and I drove to Roanoke to visit my cousin Kyle (who was dubbed 'Uncle Kyle' to Shane). If the stripes and skates don't make it obvious, Kyle is a professional referee. He works the college scene on weekends.


Shane and I met Kyle at his hotel. He'd reffed two games the day before. We ate breakfast and Shane showed off how hyper he could be after 90+ minutes in the car.

The wall at breakfast looked good to climb.


The trees in the courtyard were delightful, as well.


I wouldn't let him run across the covered swimming pool, but we found an elevator.


Kyle and I finally got to sit and talk some when Shane discovered a rock garden. He built an asteroid belt.


None of the staff seemed to mind. Kyle and I made Shane clean up before we moved on. It was less disruptive than some of the games the cousins and my family used to play...


Afterwards, we went to Kyle's room to collect his gear. Shane loved it all. He wanted Kyle to make his helmet fit him.


He wasn't sure what to do with the "knee guard."


"Is it a hat?"

"Nope."


It's hard to keep a straight face when a four-year old waves around a nut cup and can't figure out it's purpose.

Then Shane grabbed a bunch of hangars to build with. In his eyes, the day got better and better.


Kyle gave him an official NHL hockey puck as a gift. Shane rolled it behind Kyle all the way to the parking lot.

Shane and I followed Kyle to the Berglund Center.


Shane chased after Kyle wherever he went.


It wasn't hard to guess where Kyle wanted to go. There was hockey afoot. 


You don't become a ref unless you like a sport or you're crazy. Kyle's crazy for hockey.

Shane's not there yet, but the zamboni caught his eye (they are awesome).


Kyle told Shane some of the basics, but he wasn't around to spectate. He had to get to work at some point.


I ended up going up many, many stairs.


The numbers changed, but Shane's goal remained the same: Get to the top.


Over....


...and over...


....and over.


I got a small break when the zamboni came out.


Shane was pumped for hockey when Kyle came out suited up. He loved everything he'd seen.


The excitement had taken it's toll, though. Shane was hungry and tired (not that he'd admit it). We only stayed for the very beginning of the game.


Shane got to see his Uncle Kyle drop puck and skate on.


When we left, Shane said, "I'm going to miss Uncle Kyle. I love him," and "I like hockey."

I told Kyle that if Shane ends up a hockey fan, this is where it will have started.

Shane tried to explain some of the rules to Carrie later. He called the sticks clubs, and the puck "the black thing you hit," but he remembered who the goalies were and how you score.

Speaking of Carrie: She had no idea of the shenanigans we were up to.

Shane and I sent her a selfie to start the conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment