Friday, October 30, 2015

Trick or Treat the Lawn Edition

Friday, Carrie, Shane and I trick or treated on "the Lawn!"

Normally, UVA holds the event on Halloween. This year, however, there was a home football game scheduled for the same time. The university moved trick or treating a day forward to alleviate traffic concerns.


There were A LOT of people. Thousands.


And we went early.


We had a tough time driving around and finding parking. When we left, there were huge lines of peoples waiting to get on the lawn. UVA was wise to move the event.

Plus, it gave us an extra day to trick or treat!

The Lawn is a large, terraced grassy courtyard. It was originally the heart of the university with classrooms, dorms, and important buildings to the college I know nothing about. UVA has grown, but there are still lots of buildings and lots of dorm rooms for students. Wikipedia said "it's an honor" to be selected to live there.

From what I can tell: You'd better be social. Small rooms, lots of events, and people, people, people.

Carrie, Shane, and I were cogs in a candy distribution line.


We stood in a giant circular line that slowly moved from room to room.


Students lined the walls in costumes and carting candy. Lots and lots of candy.


Carrie overheard one student say "I've already passed out $150 in candy!"



Shane made bank. If I had known we'd end up with so much candy from the Lawn, I would not have bought any for trick-or-treaters at Costco.

What a haul. What a haul!

Carrie loved revisiting her Korra costume. She pinned Paboo on to her shoulder. Carrie beamed ear to ear whenever one of the college kids gasped and realized who she was. "I dress like this for them!"

I was a filthy redshirt.


I am a "Mc," so I try to argue this applies.


Maybe I'll visit Scotland one day.

After the candy conga line, we found some real firefighters!


Shane always finds them when he's in costume.


We had a great time (and experienced sensory overload). Shane sampled plastic wrapped, sugared fuel throughout. It kept him going!

We stopped by Cristian's Pizza for longer lasting and a (slightly) healthier pit stop on the way to the car. This won't be the last time we visit the Lawn on Halloween!



1 comment:

  1. What fun! Shane will treasure this memory forever! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Love,
    Mom and Dad aka: Nana and Pop

    ReplyDelete