Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Notes to Camp

Triple R Ranch emailed that there was a way to write emails to campers. They'd take whatever was emailed, print it, and give it to the camper intended at lunch. 

Carrie and I decided to write daily. There was a 12:45 PM cutoff to make sure there was time for it to be printed.

I wrote the first email on Monday.

Hey Buddy! We're thinking of you!


While you are having a great time, Mom and I drove to pick up Eowyn. We are on the road home now and near Culpeper. We will still have to do chores when we get home. Mom wanted to get on the road before it got too hot, so it's a late breakfast for the horses (more like lunch). I asked for ChicFilA but your Mom said no horse trailers in drive-throughs.

Loki was confused why you didnt come back last night. He was more antsy in the back of the car without a friend. We got home a little after 10 PM.

We love you so much! Make sure you remember some stories to tell us when we pick you up Friday.

Love,
Mom and Dad

Carrie wrote the Tuesday email

Hey Kiddo! It's Mom :) I saw some pictures of you on Triple R's web page yesterday. You look like you're having a great time. I especially loved the picture of you and the chestnut paint horse. You'll have to tell me all about it when we see you on Friday. In the meantime, I want you and your new friends to enjoy a movie night on us! Eat some popcorn and make some awesome memories!

Wednesday was me again

Howdy, howdy!

I can't believe Mom bought you a movie night! Camp is a time for faith, people, activities, and playing all sorts of games! Not electronics!

She had a big smile on her face when she told me, though. I hope you enjoyed it!

Things are less exciting here than they probably are at camp. Mom was exhausted and fell asleep a little after 8 PM last night. I went down and did barn chores alone. She woke up still exhausted and I did morning chores by myself, too. Do you see a pattern? I'll be happy to have you back home to help! I don't mind chores, but they're easier and more fun with company. I started my exercise routine and I plan to work on my Spanish this summer. I logged in to Rosetta Stone last night and listened to some lessons while I scooped poop.

Tuesday was Loki's 2nd birthday. We didn't do anything to celebrate unless you count me using the fur-minator. I brushed out enough loose fluff to make a small pillow. I hope it will keep him cooler. He's been running back up to the house during barn chores and asking to go back into the air conditioning.

That's the quick update for now. I hope you're loving camp. I think God made you of the right stuff for it. You're full of energy and life. You're brave and willing to try new things. You love being around people and are kind to who you meet. Just make sure you have a good memory, so you can practice your story-telling when you see us again!

Love,
Dad

Nana wrote her own email Wednesday to join in the fun.

Hi Shane!

Pop and I had so much fun with you and your cousins at the beach! We are so proud of you for going to camp! I read a lot of reviews on the camp and they were all good. While you are there, ask God to make you more aware of all the ways that He blesses you each and every day. And please be a blessing to all the adults and kids that you are around. Show appreciation to the cooks, workers, counselors, etc... And be on the lookout for anyone who is lonely and needs a friend. Be quick to listen and slow to talk (that is in the Bible). People need a chance to tell their stories so it's so important to be a listener. I hope you enjoy riding horses while you are at camp. Some of the friends that you make at camp may become lifelong friends that you can see each summer at camp. When you get older, you may be a camp counselor there. Your dad loved going to ACE Computer camp for several years, first as a camper, then as as junior counselor and then as a regular counselor. We thought his love was for computers, but later he realized that what he loved was when "the light bulb went off and a kid understood what he was teaching them:" So he got his first college degree in computer science, but then went back to college to get his masters degree in special education. Who knows what you will decide to study when you are in college! But going to camp may help you begin to figure that out. We love you so much! Be friendly and helpful and ask God to help you know and love Him more while you are at camp. We miss you!

Love,
Nana and Pop

Thursday was Carrie's turn again.

[Email goes here]

I know Shane read the emails, because he mentioned Loki's 2nd birthday when I picked him up. Score one for reading!

There was no Friday email for "reasons." You'll have to keep reading to figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment