Wednesday, May 1, 2013

At the Park

Carrie, Shane, and I went down to the park as a family unit last Saturday. Carrie wanted Gaston to see how much Shane had grown! When Carrie and Gaston went to work, Shane and I went out to play. That's what parks are for right?


Genevieve runs the educational program for kids at the park, so that was our first stop. Shane named stuffed animals, pet furs ("Kitty!"), and filled Gen's chair with rocks and geodes! I wish I had pictures.

Genevieve left to run a gardening program, and Shane and I played "beach" with the rocks in front of the visitors center. We got a couple odd looks as we rolled around in pea gravel! 


I tried to record some of our play, but it's harder than it looks to get quality footage!


Shane and I ended up running around for a while. Carrie had given Shane a hat to advertise some park programs, but it never stayed on for more than a couple minutes.


Eventually, Carrie came out and collected us. Shane had a great time. I expect I'll be taking him to visit Mommy and Gaston at the park on Saturday's this summer!


Carrie's job with state parks has meant a lot to her. Even though she's starting her new job May 13th, she's told Gaston she wants to stay on through the beginning of summer to help him until he retires. Gaston is a once-in-a-lifetime boss.

I told her to go for it.

I understand why Carrie would want to see Gaston and their summer program through. A part of me is worried Carrie's going to burn herself out starting a new job during the day, and then working her old job weekends and nights. I think it's more important that she has her closure and the notorious Carrie and Gaston pairing finishes their last season together! This season of youth programs is extra special: Gaston's daughter is going to get to be an intern-supervisor, and his son will be a crew member for the first time. 

How's that for a legacy?

No comments:

Post a Comment