Friday, May 10, 2013

Homebound

Being a Homebound teacher was interesting. I think I'll do it again if I ever have the time.

Monday, I got to see my student punch a wall. He told his mom he wouldn't work, so she cancelled the session. I drove by to pick up some work, so that it wouldn't be a total wash. The student left the house when I did and asked if I could drive him to Burger King. 

Can you guess what I didn't do?

The rest of the week went smoother and I was expecting to be done today. There was a meeting scheduled this morning to place the student somewhere in the county. 

Something happened.

I was told the student's mom got angry and hung up the phone before the meeting could really get underway. When they tried calling back, she would not pick up. I wasn't there so I don't really know.

My department chair told me that there would not be another meeting scheduled for TWO WEEKS! Yikes!

I had to email the Homebound Office to tell them I could not continue. 

Carrie starts her new job Monday, and it's going to be my job to pick him up from daycare on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Plus, my SOLs are around the corner. I have had students asking me to stay after for help for the past three weeks. I've had to tell them "I'm sorry, but I can't" many times only to have my Homebound lesson cancelled. It feels wrong to deny help to multiple kids who want it to chase after one kid who makes it very clear he does not. 

Anyway, no one wrote me back, so I don't know where I stand yet. I probably won't find out more until Monday. I really hope my student finds his way into a school/program of some sorts as soon as possible. I don't think any progress or good will come from him being left on his own to run wild for another two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment