Friday, May 10, 2013

Tutoring

Did I mention I'm tutoring again?

My tutor family asked me to help their boy get through the 4th quarter. I really like the kid and the family, so I would've done it for free.They insist on paying me and it's good gas money, so who am I to argue?

The kid has basically pulled himself together since I've shown up. He likes me, but he doesn't want to need a tutor. I told him that there were no hard feelings if he wanted to get rid of me. I told him to "get his act together, pull his grades up, and prove he didn't need me."

He's taken the motivation and seems to be running with it!

I'll probably only need to show up a couple of more times this year. It's a little bittersweet I want to see him succeed, but I'll miss the side income and the making a difference when he doesn't need me anymore!

I will also miss the connection to this family. I taught the daughter's math class my first year at my school. I made an impression then without knowing it! Both of the boys were on the same team as me in 7th grade, and I've bumped into the mom at school on parent nights and the like. Outside of school, the mom and daughter watched Shane when Carrie and I had the home inspection of our house that was not to be.

Moving forward, I'm not sure how much longer I'll have this job, but I'm glad I had the chance to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment