Saturday, December 17, 2016

City Wrestling Tournament

City tournament day! My middle schoolers had to report in by 8 AM to be free labor. It's a lot of work setting up a tournament.


Especially when one of the mats hasn't been unrolled in who knows how long. This is the first time I've seen a wrestling mat that can be classified as 'terrain.' There were hills and one spot that was nearly un-padded.


It needed to be unfolded at some point (Yes, I said 'folded.'). Short term setback, long term gain for the program. It all worked out in the end.


My boys had a much stronger showing. The competition seemed lighter in some regards, but the boys also seemed focus in others. My new heavyweight attended 'Sprawls 101' with me on Thursday.


Meanwhile, Shane and Ryan ran rampant (Don't tell Carrie!). At one point, they crawled under the bleachers and were covered in filth. I scolded them and told them to clean up. Once their backs were turned I had to shake my head and smile. I'd have done the same thing. I checked in on the clean-up between matches and it was still hilarious. Kids need to be told "Figure it out," and left to do so at times.


They were allowed on the mats again later. Have I mentioned wrestling meets are kid friendly?


My wrestlers recognize Shane, too.


They play with and look out for him for me.


I'm not sure how much work Shane and Ryan did, but they helped polish off the donuts for volunteers.


I don't count Shane's calories. He runs them off. The kids broke into a mat-tape-basketball game during clean-up.


Almost five hours later, we made it home. Carrie was cooking. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment