Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A Goof Became an Opportunity

Shane came home with red on his behavior chart. He "talked excessively" through the math lesson and over the teacher.

I let him know I was mad. The excuses started and I shut them down. Shane started the "I can't listen/I'm dumb" negative talk and I shut that down, too.

"Don't make it more. Don't make it less. You will do better tomorrow if you want to see electronics again," I said.

And yet, I also saw an opportunity. I told Shane he was lucky he had wrestling. That would give him a chance to see friends and do something even though he was in trouble. THAT gave him a positive attitude! Carrie came out to watch this time, too.

Best practice yet. Shane was more focused than I've seen him. He was still floppity, but on task 85% of the time is fantastic for him. His first wrestling partner was his the boy from his preschool, Matthew, too.



I wasn't happy when Shane ditched Matthew for a sillier partner. I think Shane wanted to wrestle in the middle of the room.


When we got home, Shane had enough time to shower, write an apology, and head to bed a little early.


We told him he needed the extra rest to be focused tomorrow.....and that there'd be hell to pay if he came home with two bad days in a row.

Guess what? He recovered and had a green Wednesday! Carrie let him catch Pokemon with her and watch TV while I was at a wrestling meet. They even ordered pizza without me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment