Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Nearing the End

We faced off against two teams Tuesday. Both large.


Here was my proud crew.


No, wait. There were a couple warming up behind the chairs, too.


Five of my eight wrestlers stepped on the mat. I asked for multiple matches to work the ref and my boys as usual.

"You're going to throw us right into the grinder, aren't you Coach?" one asked.

"Yup."

And they did well.

We got slaughtered in Culpeper, but my three present veterans went 3-0, 3-0, and 2-1 here. My two first year wrestlers were shut out, but life is hard as a first year. I'd have loved a win for them, but tough days make the breakthrough days sweeter.

I was very happy with the effort given. Now if only I could get that in every practice for a full week...

My three missing wrestlers were sick. Two of them came to practice on Monday and sat out. Both were out of school match day and one parent let me know his son had the flu. The third sicky had bronchitis, but he came to support the team.

I was sick, too. I didn't really have much choice. I don't have an assistant, so if I didn't go, nobody would. I warned the other coaches and didn't shake any hands. I offered an elbow bump to show there was no disrespect intended. Cough drops helped when my voice started to abandon me.

The season is almost over. We're trying to finish strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment