Thursday, August 16, 2018

Back to Work 2018-19

It begins again. 

My new boss was able to meet everyone on Monday and showed up for the convocation Wednesday afternoon. 


I did not expect the school year to start with karaoke.


All jokes aside, the admins were trying to recreate the feel of last year's convocation. They did an awesome job kicking off after the A12 events. This year fell short of that mark, but there was nothing to be ashamed of. 

There's a big push every year about being trauma-informed. This year was no exception. Jim Sporleder from "Paper Tigers" came out this year. That's great, but my school was trauma informed years ago. They've been repeating the same introductory trainings.

I feel like trauma-informed is also "Biblical informed" for me. No matter what one of the kids does, if Jesus died for them how can I not do my best for them? And what about serving and loving? Loving doesn't mean appeasing or excusing bad behavior, but to build character up. Going the extra mile and trying to learn about a kid's life and connect with them is loving and trauma-informed.

Like my teaching philosophy, my room hasn't changed much. I still love these photos.


I need to think of another creative project. Shane's years older and the room could use an update.

My old boss let me keep up my decorations, so it was a breeze setting up my classroom. I spotted a few minor issues. Someone snapped off a ground from a charger during summer school.


I threw out the natty, old carpet that was under my rolling chair. I was afraid to throw it out during the year, because it looked gross underneath.

It was gross underneath.


I asked the custodian for help. He said he'd take care of it over the weekend.

This week was lot of training, listening, and the calm before the storm. The new boss seems good. She'll start the same day as the kids next week. I'll know more about the feel of the year when then.

No comments:

Post a Comment