Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Shane's Behavior

Shane's a great kid. I want to say that, before I write this next bit.

Shane needs to work on apologizing, listening, and not being a turd.

It was a stressful weekend. Shane played in to part of it (of course). Something happened where the dog came in shedding sand everywhere ("I didn't do it! He fell into my sand pile!"). When Carrie asked Shane to go change and to come back to help, he hid in his room. She started to vacuum and when she realized he wasn't coming back out, she was upset. Shane swore he didn't hear her say to come help and he swore he didn't hear the vacuum cleaner either (even with Loki barking at it). 

I had Shane working on cleaning up later on. 


I remember when Shane was little and I'd tell him not to make such a big deal, explode, or crumble when something went wrong. It's almost like he learned the lesson too well. When corrected, he usually acts like it's no big deal and doesn't offer an apology until directed.

It's not all the time, but it's enough of the time that I've noticed it and Carrie has definitely noticed it. It really bothers her. Especially, when you ask him to stop doing something and he either keeps doing it or starts to talk about something else entirely.

Shane's not very fast to react when told to do something either. I can recall one incident told him "Put down the dog." I said it nice, but very clearly the first time. He kept walking with Loki dangling and kicking and I said it more forcefully the second time and then I had to really project the third time. "Ok! Okay! Sheesh!" was the response.

Some of that, he probably gets from me. I zoned out and could be oblivious as a kid (with a side dash of being hyperfocused on what I liked). I could also be a talker, but I think a lot of that changed after I dealt with a bully and some trouble at school in 2nd or 3rd grade. I think that taught me to be quieter and pay more attention to what was going on around me....., but it's hazy. I was young.

Shane's got a dash of imp, as well. That he definitely gets from me. I watched him push Bucket off a chair just as Loki was running over. He knows she's terrified and he was looking for a show. I saw it and called him out on it (No apology until Carrie pointed that out).

I don't understand parents who think their kids can do no wrong. I love my kid and think he's an A- at minimum, but he's human and a kid. He will always have something he needs to work on. That's why he needs Jesus. For that matter, I need Jesus, too.

Anyway, some parental venting and logging.

No comments:

Post a Comment