Saturday, October 17, 2020

A Tale Through Texts - Shane at Nana and Pop's!

Nana kept in contact through texts and having Shane phone home. I decided to use her texts to tell about his trip!

Creative or a cop-out? You decide! 

The texts started shortly after Nana, Pop, and Shane drove off from the Cook Out


The next day, virtual school started and it was clear Shane didn't pack everything he needed. (Bonus - Nana asked me to ask John about helping Jama with her library account).



Academics aren't our main concern with Shane at this age. We figure he'll do fine and Nana and Pop did everything they could to fix the situation. Meeting Shane's social needs and building family relationships were the more important needs and he got that through cousins and bouncing on a trampoline!

Or pizza. Nana kept us updated on playdates and food offered. 



I know Shane met with the cousins every day. I suspect he ate out nearly every day and I know he cleaned Nana's house out of macaroni and cheese. 

I was a little jealous he got homemade Chinese dumplings.


And ice cream later on? Were they trying to spoil the boy rotten? Or was it only fair, because they got the dog something?


I enjoyed reading the last bit about how Shane played with Tenley. He is really good with other kids. If he can learn to actively listen he'll have an incredible set of social skills.

Shane and Cole got to take turns spending the night at different houses. Shane said that Cole wasn't very excited about Shane sleeping over at his house, but he did it because he knew Shane would like it!


And yes, I did as Nana asked. She's still my mom!

There was one night he called with a headache. COVID didn't come to mind. Every several months Shane will have an exciting day or series of days and wear himself out. Then he gets a headache, goes to bed early, and wakes up at 100%.


Before Shane headed south, I told him two things: 1) Nana loves to 'help' with loose teeth and 2) doesn't like long hair. "If you come back with long hair and that tooth still loose, I'll be shocked!"



Two weeks of the 'good life' started to show after a while. Shane put on some weight!


It's been a while since Shane's last growth spurt, but I've sworn he looks older to me. It's something in the face I can't describe.

I really enjoy being Shane's father and I loved getting texts like these.


.....and Nana did get the tooth in the end!


Hopefully, Shane learned a lesson about speaking with discretion, too!


Nana wasn't the only one who texted. Kathleen gave me updates, as well.


True story: I played with my sisters when we were younger. They had Barbie dolls, too.


....and the Barbie dolls were frequently involved in accidents and often needed rescuing. Like father, like son, I guess!

I'm sure there were lots of electronics, but I love that Kathleen would throw the kids out into the backyard, too.



Electronics are great, but there's something special about making up your own games that all kids need to have the chance to do.



I wouldn't say I'm a "hard-ass," but I've always been very explicit with what will happen depending on the choices Shane makes. I'd like to think that's helped him develop a good attitude.


I told Nana there was an opening for a SPED teacher at Shane's school that Stu could look into. Is it selfish to think it'd be amazing if all the SC family moved a little closer?

Carrie and I did do research on Asheville NC and some areas around there, but decided to stick to VA. I don't regret it economically or professionally, but sometimes I do wonder what it'd have been like to be closer to the family.

And I have to mention Aunt Dot, as well. She insisted it wasn't babysitting whenever she watched Shane, but she had a hand in keeping an eye on him. Camera phones and texting aren't her thing, but she gave some updates whenever Nana called, too!

Getting to let Shane stay with Nana and Pop is one of the best things virtual school has done for us. Carrie and I are already thinking about when he can visit next! We want to let Nana and Pop have a long enough break they're well-rested and happy to see him, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment