Sunday, October 4, 2020

Grandparents Galore!

Our weekend was full of grandparents. Grandma and Grandpa came over Saturday. 

You'd think I'd start with Shane, but Grandpa and Max got reacquainted. Max is nearly 15 years old. She started her life at Grandma and Grandpa's and the only way she likes to be carried is the way Grandpa does it.


And from there I'm going to segue to horses. Carrie excused herself after a short chat to go to the barn. Then she called and said, "Come onto the porch. I'm going to do a thing."


She jumped off a horse. 

At a canter.

It's called an emergency dismount. None of us saw it coming, either. 


It started yesterday. 

Heidi came to visit and Carrie's been talking to her about proper mounting and dismounting. Heidi's previous trainers would let her dismount with a foot in the stirrup. That was a big no-no according to Carrie's training (and Heidi had fall when she got her foot stuck dismounting just before all her major health problems began).

I don't know how that led to Carrie demonstrating an emergency dismount, but Heidi told Barbara and Barbara said, "I heard you did a thing."

"I want to see, too."

Thanks for the near heart attack, Barbara. Carrie did the thing.

She stuck the landing, but it was a surprise!

Of course, Shane had turned away. "What happened?" he asked.

Grandpa, Grandpa, Shane and I hung out in the house together while the riding went on. I tried to teach Grandpa and Grandma how to play The Crew. It's a trick-taking game and they like cards, so I figured it'd go over well.

However, Shane excused himself to hunt for ants and Grandma and Grandpa started to reminisce about a different game altogether.

The game was a bust, and we spent our time talking instead. Carrie rejoined us and she dragged Shane in saying, "No more holes in the yard!"


The next day, Shane and I parked at the Cook Out off Emmett St. 


We were awaiting the arrival of Nana and Pop!


Shane was scheduled to go to SC for a week. He'd been talking about it non-stop (even with Grandpa and Grandma!). He could not wait to see all of his cousins.


Normally, I'd have met Nana and Pop in Greensboro, but they were already driving through. They'd gone up to visit Jama and sort out her medicines for the next months. Since they were driving through they picked up Shane on the way.

They were nice enough to buy Shane and I lunch and we all ate together. We chatted for an hour before I told Shane "Happy trails."


I should've gone to Costco to get gas, but I drove alongside them on their way south. I'm going to miss Shane, but I don't know if he'll ever get another mid-Fall opportunity to spend a week with the family AND be in school. Virtual school isn't the best, but there are definite perks for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment