Monday, October 19, 2020

Right Outside My Window

Virtual school went from being "less work is more" to plainly "more work." I have to convert everything to be used online and it takes longer for me to grade through things when kids turn them in at all hours of the day over weeks instead of in one big bunch.

This past week (10/22), I was so busy with Shane and horses in the morning I ran out of time to convert something. I posted a PDF instead which promises more work on the backend when I have to grade everything by hand. And some kids will submit over email, some will take a picture of a piece of scrap paper held at odd angles, others will post online like they're supposed to, but only the front instead of the front and back, etc.

A lot of my kids (even the honors ones) seem to be weaker at algebra skills this year (Possibly because of how last year ended!). These questions are examples of some problems I put up. I expect the honors kids to be able to attempt them on their own and either get the solution on their own or understand it when I start to go over how to solve ("Ooooh!"). With my other classes, I plan for everyone to be able to understand the solution by the time we work through it. I want all kids to see how the patterns line up.


Hint - If you haven't done math for a long time, the big ideas are this:
  • Midpoint and bisect are a fancy way of saying "Cut in half" or "divide by 2" in Math-ese.
  • The 'equation' I teach for that is either "The big thing / 2 = the small thing" or "2 of the small thing = the big thing."
  • The other 'equation' used on the line is "Part + Part = the whole thing"

 
These problems are examples of where the calculations are what make things more difficult rather than the concept. "If you can't see what it is, change the numbers to something easy and look for the pattern. If the big angle was 80, what would it be cut in half? 40! The numbers will change and get harder, but the pattern will stay the same. Use easy numbers to look for that pattern."

I won't give all the answers, but the bisected angle problem goes something like this:

The big angle = 2 of the small angles.  
The big angle's measurement is the secret code 8x+19
The smaller angle's measurement is the secret code 6x+1.

Therefore, 8x+19 = 2 (6x+1)

If kids get that far, they can type it in the computer and it solves it for them (know how to use your tools whether it's a saw or a computer!).

I do all my teaching and working sitting on the floor by a window in the bedroom. A window that sometimes odd things happen out of it!


The heavy machinery that drove by in the previous picture was a tractor.


It was pulling a device that cuts a narrow furrow in the ground and fills it with grass seed.


Carrie is serious about pasture management and wanted to set the barn up now for future success. It did my heart good to hear her talking to the guy and the words "we can do the math to see exactly how many bags of seed we'll need" were uttered.


Definitely something to bring up to the class as a real world application! And I was able to hold my computer up to the window so my 4th block could see the tractor roll by, too.

I checked in on Carrie and the barn in between classes. This happened while Shane was in SC or I'd have needed to check in on him, too!

Maddy was the most dissatisfied with the interloper.


It had the audacity to drive up to her run-in shed!


Her face says, "WHY HUMANS!? WHY!?"


Another day (also the week Shane was out of town) I noticed a trailer park outside during my final block.


We were hosting a virtual riding competition. The trainer who used our arena for the clinic, Heather, was entering Worlds for western dressage (or something like that).


Carrie and her husband were the official videographers. Heather practiced until the sun dipped lower behind the trees and then did her routine to send off to the committee! 


I haven't heard how she did yet. I don't know if the people who advance will head to a new bracket (virtual or in-person) or be given a prize (virtual or in-person!). 

I'm not the biggest fan of teaching virutally, but it is nice to be home so much. Otherwise I'd miss out on seeing some neat things.


It keeps me close to my other 'office.' At this point, I'm almost willing to call it 'the family business.' I don't always have time to change out of my pajamas before it's time to work!


Horses poop. I'm a big part of the process from stall to hopper.


If we could find a way to monetize this stuff we'd be rich.


I actually like zipping around on the mower. I'd go even faster if I could!


Fall observation - You can see the vapor trail behind the mower in the mornings!


Shane's back in town, so he adds another step to the day. I plan on teaching him how to use the equipment to help out more when he's older. Pop taught me to use the riding mower long before I could drive a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment