Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Puzzling It Out

I made an impulse buy at Costco: A puzzle! They're fun, tied to good memories, and it was only $10. 

Grandpa Vern used to work on massive puzzles. I remember seeing them on the table downstairs by the bar when I was younger. A puzzle seemed a nice, non-electronic way to make some memories and build some problem-solving confidence.


The first problem to solve was "Where do we solve this thing?" I decided we'd work in my bedroom to avoid any animal antics. There wasn't a table, so we used my diploma.


It was clear that the diploma wasn't going to be big enough as we fleshed out the bottom edge. I found a poster in the garage instead.


Predictably, Shane's stamina was much less than my own. I put him on edge duty at first, but it moved a little slow for him. He said he'd rather have me read a book the second night I offered (which we did - It was a Hank the Cowdog).

The scales tipped back in the puzzles favor when I recruited Mom. Three's a party and Shane was there! His stamina level was still low, but he liked being around everyone.


The problem with three people working on a puzzle is that there are two many chefs in the kitchen. Carrie got intense and focused and I wanted Shane to participate, so that meant I had to sit back a little. 


The reward from working with three people is we got to share the progress and I used my camera to document things!

The puzzle lasted a week (10/19-25). I think we did it in 4 sessions. 


Carrie was complaining she was tired as we worked on the final bits of sky. "We can always take a break and finish later," I said.

Carrie agreed and then immediately did the opposite.


She complained a little more and I offered a break again. 

Carrie agreed and then immediately did the opposite.

Perhaps you see the pattern?

We were close to being done and everyone sensed it. Shane was suddenly all-in! He frequently was holding the exact piece Carrie or I was looking for.

Shane insisted that he wanted to finish the last 10 pieces himself. I agreed, but Carrie hovered. She struck like lightning and suddenly there were 9 pieces to go....then 8!

"Mooommm!!!" Shane said and laughed. He clutched to the remaining five pieces and wriggled as Carrie tickled him.


Shane did get to put the final three pieces in or so. I did my best to hold Carrie in check!

It was a pretty looking picture. "Want to break it up and do it again?" I asked.


I doubt we mount it anywhere, but maybe it could be a craft project. 

I'd rather do another puzzle!

No comments:

Post a Comment