Thursday, September 16, 2021

Some Light Gaming

My gaming habits had been limited to some occasional Hexcells, Tametsi, Desktop Dungeons, or the like. My free time had been spent exercising, resting, watching something with Carrie, watching something on my phone, or thinking about school. I got enough free time each day to be rested and peaceful at heart, but there wasn't an overwhelming amount of downtime.

With my injury, I got tempted by a flash sale on Steam. I bought a bundle of Civ 6 software for $15.


I played it almost every night for a week and got reminded of two things.

First, I love the beginning of the Civ games. The world is wide open, new things are being discovered, and I'm always tempted for one more turn until it's past time for sleep.

Second, the game outlives it's welcome for me. At a certain point, the turns take too long and I'm just wanting to get to the end! After a learning game, I beat the game as the Russians, but I think it took me at least 10 hours on a standard map. I was probably enchanted for the first 4 hours, interested for the next 4, and eager for it to be done the last 2. 

Shane has the game on the Switch, so I know enough now to advise him if he wants to play (though the cartridge is with Cole, if I remember correctly). I mentioned picking the game up on sale and piqued the interest of a few of my students enough to start some conversations, as well.

It was worth the $15. I even got a blog post out of it. I really enjoyed learning/discovering the changes the game made, but I haven't started it up again since. I could see going back to it eventually, but the pacing and the pay off thereof doesn't make it my first choice when I have downtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment