Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Grandpa Vern Story

Wednesday, I was stuck in traffic and angry. People were swerving around, cutting each other off, pulling illegal maneuvers and generally telegraphing"I don't care about anyone else; I'm going to get what's mine and I don't care if it makes the situation worse for everyone else."

I happened to be on the phone with Grandma Lois on my 45 minute, 6 mile commute. My complaints reminded her of a story involving my grandfather.

Once, when Grandma Lois and Grandpa Vern were in Canada, they were in a long line. A man and his family waltzed their way up to the front of the line and cut-in without a second thought.

Grandpa, in his quiet manner, stepped out of line and walked over. He tapped the man on the shoulder and said, "In Nebraska, the line starts at the end."

Grandpa never raised his voice. He never made an angry gesture.

The man and his family turned around and went back outside.

Grandpa wasn't a big guy, but he could be the kind of guy that everyone listened to (boy, that would be useful as a teacher).

Grandpa also had a long list of catchphrases:

On how he could always nap: "Clean living and a clear conscience."

When asked where someone was: "Out among'em."

When asked where that was: "Down at the cornerfrickle by the tennifris."

When greeting an old friend "I'm glad you're here. You're the only one here uglier than me!"

He also had a patented chuckle.

I'm probably off on some of the quotes, so if you knew Grandpa feel free to correct me or chime in. He was on my mind this week/weekend after Grandma mentioned him.

No comments:

Post a Comment