Thursday, May 1, 2014

Interview #2

Interview #2 was today.

This time I went to my neighborhood high school. The odds are fairly long I'll get a job there.

Before the interview, the AP and I talked on the phone. He mentioned that I had no high school experience on my resume. Then he said that the school was really looking for someone who had already taught the material, and multiple teachers whose resumes fit the bill had already applied.

At that point, I thought, "At least it will be good interview practice!" It helps to know what questions people are asking. The AP went on, though. He said "you never know what may happen," and told me he hired his department chair from a middle school.

I interpreted it as "Your chances aren't great, but they're not zero."

Fair enough!

I arrived early, avoided getting lost in the halls, and showed up right on time.

I liked the AP I interviewed with. He seemed like a straight-shooter who told you what was on his mind (not that I couldn't guess that from over the phone). At the end of the interview, he told me that I presented myself very well and mentioned what he thought were the highlights.

I appreciated his candor and I went ahead and asked him if he could give me any feedback.

Earlier in the day, one of the counselors had come in to speak with my students. She ended her lesson by asking them for feedback. She asked the kids to be completely honest. I dropped a quick paraphrase as I took back over, "Correct a wise man and they'll love you for it."

The Proverb popped up again to me unbidden, so I went with it. The AP and I talked back and forth a little longer. I jotted down a few notes, and I'm better off for it. Finally, the AP asked if he could keep my resume on file. He said I interviewed very well, but "for the sake of transparency" if someone else answered as well, but had high school experience they'd go with them. However, he did want to know if I would be open if any other positions started to open up as teachers shuffled around (this time of year can be a bit of a shell game). I said, "Please do."

Regardless of whether or not I end up at the high school, I'm glad I went.

Carrie was happy that I was so close to home this time. Roxy decided to roll in the mud.


No comments:

Post a Comment