Wednesday, May 7, 2014

May The 4th Be With You, John

Saturday was John's surprise birthday party.

John was born on May 4th. It's perfect, because he's a huge Star Wars fan. 

If you did not know, "May the 4th be with you" is now officially Star Wars day. John has carte blanche to remind everyone of his birthday every year with a Star Wars reference! 

But I digress.

One of my other friends, Mike C, contacted Carrie about hosting a surprise party for John. He also asked if Carrie could make a storm-trooper cake. Naturally my wife agreed. Star Wars and baking are both up her alley. The plan was later revised due to her knee (also known as "Carrie made cupcakes").

Shane loved John's party. He was thrilled that everyone would throw a party for John for his entertainment.

Shane personally greeted every guest. When John arrived, he sang "Happy Birthday" in front of everyone. He did an encore performance with the whole ensemble when we lit the cake. Shane tried to spit/blow out all the candles before John did, too!


Then there was the food. Shane obsessed over the cupcakes from the moment Carrie started cooking.

"I want a cupcake!" Shane said.

"Not right now." I said.

"You can't say not right now!" Shane said. This exchange was oft repeated and followed up with a "I don't want you to say that!" or a "That makes me so sad!"

Shane's a clever kid when it comes to something he wants. He put two and two together pretty quickly later on.

"Please, can I have a cupcake, pleeease?" Shane asked.

"Good manners, but no, Shane. These cupcakes are for John's birthday," I replied. "John gets the first cupcake."

"Then I get the second one!" Shane followed!

I bust out laughing. "Yes, Shane gets the second one!"

"OH BOY! MOMMY I GET THE SECOND CUPCAKE!"


I don't know who enjoyed himself more: John or Shane.

John was truly surprised. He thought that Mike C and I were going to play a round of X-wing. In his mind, he was coming to offer nerd support and loan out some models.

Everyone had a lot of fun talking and catching up. Shane, John, and I snuck out into the TV room to watch some Despicable Me 2 at one point. You've never seen someone almost die laughing until you see John's reaction to Gru in the Eagle's Nest.


Later on there was some X-wing gaming. Mike C played John and then John and I squared off. It was 11:30 PM by the time everyone left and I was exhausted. Carrie went to bed hours earlier with Shane.

It was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment