Saturday, September 19, 2015

How to Enjoy Shopping 101

If trees are outdoor puzzles, shopping carts are indoors ones.


I can't tell you how many times I've sat around up front either coming or going. Shane marveled at the hinges and how the cart opened from the bottom the other day. Carts fascinated me as a kid, too.


Carrie and I have very different shopping cart policies. Sometimes it gets me in trouble.

Carrie's philosophy:


The 15-35 lbs is optional. Carrie prefers Shane in the seat over running off aisles at flank speed.

My philosophy:


Any bruises are a learning experience. 

Shane's learned:
  • Don't climb on the front end of the tiny double-decker carts. They tip.
  • Don't grab wheels. It wasn't as instinctive as I figured.
  • Don't let your fingers get pinched playing with hinges.
  • Daddy won't go if his son tries to stand on the roof of the car attached to some carts.
  • The cart moves again when the son gets down (or is removed).
What I really need him to learn is "Don't try to apply Daddy rules when Mommy's shopping."

There's a time and a place for everything! Learning when and where which rules apply is another puzzle (and a life skill).

1 comment: