Monday, November 14, 2016

Community

Ironically, when I was growing up I thought I was more of a lone wolf. I did (and still do) need quiet time to recharge.

But I was wrong.

I was blessed beyond belief with meaningful relationships growing up. My family was close, I had friends I considered family, and I even considered my siblings' friends as friends. Relationships were grown over years and years and years. 

To name a few, my family befriended the Jeffers family when I was three. Our families have been close ever since. Bill moved in with my family for a while after college. He and I shared the basement with an old piano as a wall. Then, Dan lived with Carrie, Shane, and I in Chantilly. They're off in New Jersey and Maryland now, but I text with John almost every day. John and I have known each other since 7th grade. Igor? I met him in sixth grade through Taekwando. I wish I talked to him and everyone else more. 

These are the oldest of my close friendships, but I've met many others along the way, too. If I started to list some, I'd want to list more. This post would quickly become a NanoWriMo entry.

I believe Carrie and I were called to move to Charlottesville, and I'm glad we're here, but I do miss the people left behind. It takes lots of time to build up relationships like I was blessed with, and here that's still in the process. I've gotten to know many people, but the connections seem shallow to my senses. They're all so young compared to what was before. 

To be honest, my life is very full in a good way with my family, work, and coaching. I wish more of our family and friends were close enough I could drop by on a whim, or do the "Hey, do you want to do anything?" - "Sure. What?" - "I don't know." - " Eh. We'll figure it out." routine, but it's not like I have a lot of downtime. 

Time will tell. We planted ourselves here a year and a half ago. It's hard to compare that to being in NOVA for twenty in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment