Monday, July 10, 2017

Waterworks

I let the kids break out the hose Monday. Shane wanted to fill up his new water guns. All I asked was for Shane to ditch his shirt and shoes, and then to share.


The hose became the main attraction.


Shane wanted to make a river, so he could see how it flowed down the street. Have I mentioned that water fascinates Shane?


I stayed back, as usual. Kids are supposed to play. It's fun, healthy, and how they learn. I want the kids interacting as much as possible with each other. If I join in, at least one of the boys will latch on.

I did give them an idea. "Wouldn't it be neat if the hose could hang from the basketball hoop like a shower?"


Then I sat back and waited.


The boys figured out all the rest.


They wanted me to help at one point, but I said, "Have fun!" I wanted them to problem solve and get creative.

The drive-through, hose car wash was all them.


Lifetime Bible Verse for me: "He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30

John was talking about Jesus when some people asked if John was jealous Jesus was gaining disciples. I believe it applies to teaching and to parenting. It's my job to guide, but in the end kids have to come into their own.

Anyway, I bet the kids remember this for a while.


Shane wanted to see where all the water was going before I shut it down.


In typical fashion, Tae showed up when I was about ready to go in. I want any kid who shows in our circle to feel welcome, so we stayed out (and I want their parents to know that they're in a safe, supervised area when my child is out, at least).


Shane showed off his bike riding skills. Somehow, it became a game to ride bikes past me for a high five.

One of our new neighbors killed a copperhead while we were out. It was pregnant. He showed the kids before he threw it into the foliage behind. I've seen a baby black snake before, but those are good to have around. Copperheads are dangerous.


Henry had long since gone in by that point. The waterguns and hose came out for one last hurrah before I took Shane in for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment