Friday, May 25, 2018

Leg Etiquette

I don't like it when Shane crosses his legs scissor style. I blame Nana.


I grew up hearing things like "Men with something between their legs find it uncomfortable." There was no way I was going to signal that about myself! I heard somewhere that it was a 'European' thing to do, but I strongly considered myself American as a teen.

And now, by training or conditioning, I don't find it particularly comfortable. I pop an ankle up on my knee to cross my legs. It helps when I'm having trouble sitting still for long periods or to stretch out a little while seated. 

Which brings me back to Shane. I know that the crossed legs aren't really a big deal. I asked him to "sit right" a few times when he was younger. I even reached back and gently uncrossed his legs one or twice...and then I stopped. When I thought I about it, it wasn't a big deal. I would prefer if Shane popped an ankle up like me, but I'm not going to micromanage him and/or waste my parental influence on something that doesn't really matter.

It's funny the things you can spend time pondering. 

And before I sound like I only psychoanalyze Shane, I find it comfortable to pull my feet up into chairs or the couch when I'm sitting on it. Pretty sure that's not 'traditionally manly,' but it's comfortable and I don't give a damn. Gotta be me....just like I've got to help Shane be himself.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I probably learned that from Jama. I remember her teaching me that body language shows confidence and warmth, and telling me to always have good posture, shoulders back and sit up straight (make yourself appear taller). She said to never hold my arms crossed, because it signals either insecurity or unfriendliness. Some poses make a person look smaller and some poses make a person look larger. I also told you to give eye contact and smile at people. Shane is not shy or insecure, so he doesn't really need to be taught "power poses". Amy Cuddy has a good TED talk on your body language.

    ReplyDelete