Saturday, February 9, 2019

This week: Saturday is for Social

With my car back, it was time for Shane and I's usual Saturday routine. He started off the day with Taekwando.


I sat in the car for most of practice. It was crowded!


There was a brief window in between activities where we popped home for a change and some impromptu basketball.


Carrie posted our VW Bug for sale online. A mechanic who was aware of it's current condition came by and bought it while his kids played with Shane and Raheem. They didn't stay long, but it was a fun side event.


Unfortunately for Raheem, we didn't stay long either. Shane got changed, had a snack, and we were off to basketball.


Shane hammed it up and really enjoyed a dominating win.

Some of my texts to Carrie:
"They're winning 14-2 so Shane is pumped. He cheers every score. It's his turn to go in again and I could hear across the court, "Boo yah, Baby!"

"20-8 at halftime. He's tried a few steals. Was celebrating too much and his man almost ran down unopposed to score but he heard me yell."

The final score was 36-14. The coach's son, Ethan(?), did most of the work. Shane tried a few steals, took a shot from under the backboard, and actually got a rebound. He contributed! How's that for low standards?


Shane tried to make friends with the scoreboard guy when he was on the bench. I bet he was asking to push buttons, too, but I couldn't hear from across the court!


The kids had fun and I was happy with Shane's effort.


We got home to eat and get ready for Sam's birthday party at 3! Rah had a nephew coming to visit at 3, so I felt less bad as we drove off again (He at least had something going on...). 


I recognized a couple of the kids at Sam's party. I could have left him, but I ended up staying and talking with the adults. The other guy who stayed was a computer science professor at UVA. I found the academia discussions and politics interesting. It's a very different world from what I deal with.


There was an awkward moment where a kid showed up who wasn't invited to the party. He'd been visiting his grandparents and wanted to join. Shane immediately started to chat him up. The other kids wanted to play soccer and Shane was happy to find someone who wanted to grab a shovel and dig holes in the yard. Sam has history with the kid and "hasn't taken to him." The kid was allowed to join the party until the kid drama/angst levels were too high and he was sent home.


To my surprise, Shane did not cause the most noise of the kids. In fact, he disappeared at one point. Sam had a new Dogman comic book and Shane sat in his room to read it while the other kids had a light saber duel in the basement. I was amused.


There was cake and a Pokemon themed "Pin-the-Pokeball" activity. Several of the kids had unerring accuracy for being blindfolded and spun. The blindfold may not have worked as intended, but they had fun.


Everyone went outside again after. Shane wanted more cake and to go outside. I told him not to take their silverware into the yard, so he scarfed the cake down on the porch before vaulting down the stairs.


I would have happily stayed at the party longer, but after two hours of mayhem I figured Sam's parents would be happy for some quiet. Shane and I left as soon as other parents started arriving to ease the energy level.

Three planned activities and a little spontaneous play in between. We had a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment