Friday, January 24, 2020

Charterstone!

Shane pulled out Charterstone and really wanted to play. It's not a game I thought he'd like, but the box cover sold it ("A city-building legacy game? Can we play?"). I thought he would be too young. I had bought it hoping to play with Carrie!

Shane asked Carrie if she'd play a game like 5 Minute Marvel instead and she said she would in 30 minutes. However, she started a dungeon run in WoW. When Shane checked back in she wasn't done and promised to play "anything he wanted."

"Anything?" Shane asked.

"Anything!"

So Shane picked Charterstone! I wasn't sure it was a good match, but I wanted to get Carrie to try it myself!


It turned out Shane and I really liked it. Carrie was not a fan. Part of it was the game. Part of it was Shane taking forever to take his turns, adding a soundtrack, and knocking things around because he couldn't sit still! It didn't bother me, but I'm paid to be patient for a living.

We tried a second game a second day, but it too failed. Carrie started to show some interest when decided to try a hoarding strategy. I liked her creative take on things and was thinking of counters, but Shane took offense. He pouted and dragged his feet on his turns and you can guess how that all ended.


It was fun while it lasted, but Charterstone is dead in our house. I was hoping it'd be a good introduction to worker placement for Carrie. I think Shane will enjoy more games of the same type, but he needs to be a little older so that he can focus and show some more people skills at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment