Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Horses Gone Wild!?

I got home and it was already dark. I got Shane inside, but Loki had to pee so it was off into the cold again!

While Loki was taking care of his business, I heard the mares start to squeal. It was too far for my phone's flashlight to show what was going on. I was cold and tired, so I didn't walk over right away.

However, there was another squeal. Then I started to hear other noises I didn't recognize. Plastic noises.

The only plastic that should have been near where the ladies were standing was Nibs' water bucket. It should have been on the other side of the electric fence.

I got curious enough to investigate. 

When I got closer, my light started to catch eyes glinting. Eyes glinting where they should not be....and six eyes! Not four! Where'd the extra pair come form!?

I jogged into the barn and found Sam walking down the aisle toward me. I didn't have time to think about why.

He walked right up to me and I opened the closet stall door for him. I led him in and through the stall into the field.

The feeling of relief faded as soon as I walked out behind him. Sam walked down a couple of doors and ducked right back into the barn. His stall door was propped open!

I ran back in to see if I could get to Sam's inside stall door before he came all the way through, but I was too late.

I got a picture of him wandering off into the dry lot.


I shut doors to prevent a repeat and grabbed a lead rope. I found Sam and Eddie outside trying to cozy up to the girls.

I got Sam in and then Eddie. Eddie was worked up and came out of his stall at a run field-side. Sam trotted off into the darkness after him when I let him out.

I'm amazed the boys didn't get into all of the hay bales. I don't know if they even realized they were there!

The only real casualties of the night were my time and Nibs' water bucket. It was stomped, crushed and cracked.


Of course, Loki was nowhere to be found during all of this. He was off chasing cars and living the dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment