Saturday, January 11, 2020

Wrestling Tournament

I took Shane against his will to another wrestling tournament. Charlottesville was there, so he got tackled instead of doing the usual tackling (Jin)!


I watched a handful of my old wrestlers go at it before we went up in the stands to find the current team. We had six wrestlers in attendance.


Shane immediately found a kid with a Nintendo Switch. He never learned his name, but he could tell me he was playing Pokemon Sword (priorities, priorities...).

The head coach and two assistant coaches were there today, so I didn't need to sit in a chair or write scores down. We had one wrestler on the bandit team that I made it my job to check on. Unfortunately, he didn't have a lot of matches. He wrestled once while I was around. The bandit team was in the auxiliary gym and I had to run back and forth to see what was going on.


Hilariously, at one point I sent Shane to check and see if he was about to wrestle. Shane asked, "How will I know who he is?"

I pulled over a wrestler and pointed at his shirt. It was black and grey and said "Mustangs."

"You saw me talking to him earlier. He's wearing this gear. Big guy. Black hair. Use your reading. Go!" I said.

Shane came running back saying, "He's wrestling, Dad!"

I got up and ran over....to find a tall white kid in a black singlet that said, "Knights" on the mat.

My kid can't read.

The wrestlers all thought it was pretty hysterical.

I'm glad Shane got to help the kids stay entertained. Our matches were very quick! We only had five wrestlers for the 14 weight classes, so there was definitely down time. Several of the kids who wrestled showed some decent improvement. Our 8th grader should be pretty good if he continues and one of our seniors got his first win ever!

I spent more time watching things going on off the mat rather than on, though. I got a picture of Jay teaching Shane a cell phone game (and maybe how to turn my hat around backward?).


Shane didn't branch out to other kids until we were about to leave! I would have let him stay and play longer, but we'd already spent five hours at the tourney. It was in Crozet, so we had about a 35 minute ride home.


Carrie napped almost the whole time we were gone! She had a hibernation day that was only possible by us being out of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment