Wednesday, March 18, 2020

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus: St. Patty's Day and Teaching From Home

St. Paddy's day was quiet this year. My siblings all started the day keeping my phone abuzz with leprechaun antics! I wish I was that creative, but it was a lazy year. I had been planning to where my kilt to school, but it got lost in the rush. I stuck with pajamas at home.

Carrie didn't make our big St. Paddy's day meal until the next night, but I did raise a glass with some of Mark's beer


I like the flavor and the name! ("Math is all about patterns!")

There were five days off school this week, but I swear I did at least two days of hard work (Maybe three if you'd factor in lunch breaks and kids talking to me so that I can't get grading done!).


This guy made it a challenge. Any time I wanted to focus on something he'd pop up and just start talking. Or he'd chase the dog into the room and have to turn it into a barking circus under my chair instead of anywhere else! Blog work and school were tough to accomplish (This is why I normally go to work on workdays even when I could stay at home!).


I did a solid four hours of grading on Tuesday, because Shane got into Sim City and I just let it ride. I counted it as math work for homeschooling!


Shane popped up and I made him get lunch and some other stuff in that time window. I felt great once I had caught up on ALL my paper grading.

Wednesday was our second (and now weekly) virtual meeting. I waited to hear what was going on before I started updating my Schoology page, so that I wouldn't have to backtrack on anything I did.

My plan is to update every workday to keep connected. Right now, there's no new work allowed or anything, but I'm trying to keep little things consistent. I have one student who helps me pick a word of the day. I tend to post a picture of what's happening at the barn or if Loki or Shane does something funny. I wanted kids to know I'm still available AND accepting any late work they want to email in.



Shane helped me make an intro video with my school account. We did it in one take rather than practicing!



I kept up the updates all week just to emphasize "I'm here! I haven't changed!"



Friday I had to send out an email to check in with all of my 3A student families. Most didn't write back, but it's something I'm supposted to/going to do each week after the Wednesday virtual meetings.


I thought I'd fully catch up on my blog this week, but Shane, chores, and horses kept me super busy. I played a game with Matt, John, and Patrick Thursday night, but was barely on anything else the whole week. My downtime was either spent reading The Eye of the World or watching something with Carrie after Shane was asleep (We've started Picard).

Carrie's been super busy with the horses and the barn which will be the subject of my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment