Thursday, March 12, 2020

What I Watch: The Dice Tower

The younger generation has taken to streaming online. They follow gamers and personalities in the same way that older generations have followed talk show personalities and TV shows. There have been news articles about a young pre-teen who makes millions by reviewing toys, a Fortnite video gamer named Ninja who makes millions streaming, kids on TikTok who have millions watch them dance, and people who just pop on YouTube and do odd things or talk about how their dog was killed by a coyote.

There's more out there than anyone can keep track of. I pay attention to what my students are into, so I'm aware of some of it.

There is one channel I follow online: The Dice Tower.


I probably watch or listen to the Dice Tower for at least a couple of hours a week. I've done so for the past several years since I discovered them (and yet, a search of the blog only mentions them here).

The Dice Tower has a variety show that streams every Monday and Thursday. Then they have top 10 lists where they have talking heads friendly bicker and needle each other. I like to turn on a top 10 every now and then while I'm shoveling poop or driving home at night. I go about my business and listen in as they joke. It's all family friendly and the guy who started has values that are similar to mine and the stated purpose is to build community in a fun way (He was a pastor in Korea and still does sermons at some game conventions).

Two things:

1) It's funny how watching someone online can make you feel a connection. The guys all seem very authentic and some jokes/themes repeat, so after I watched for a while I felt like I knew them at least a little bit. I like it partly because it reminds me of how I would always friendly bicker with my friends (which I miss them being around at times. Life's good but it changes). It's partly an illusion in that it's a one way relationship. The guys online have no idea who I am. One of them was forthright enough and said that, but included he really enjoyed meeting people at conventions. He said it was like meeting friends he didn't even know he had yet who knew about him, but it was his turn to learn about them (See why I like their thinking?). I don't think there's any replacement for in person relationships. The Dice Tower guys go to a lot of conventions, meet fans, and try to encourage people to interact. I wonder, how many young people feel connected to online personalities and settle for a one way relationship instead of working on two-way relationships with those around them? It's easy enough to stream with no real downside.

2) I've watched enough Dice Tower over the past 2 or 3 years, that I throw a little money into their Kickstarter each January. I probably watch/listen to them more than Netflix or anything else, so it's only fair to reciprocate some!

If you'd like to see what I'm talking about, here's a few fun links.

A Top 10 I liked with a guest host: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytUUQhKdzL0

A History of The Dice Tower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyejobxnS8w&list=PLOlRvTbmD6tLZJa_fnCi8URvYwpz_nOJK

A Boardgame Breakfast I liked the Tom Thinks segment on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdann50GFU (I watch most segments, but there are a few I skip when I'm not interested).

No comments:

Post a Comment