Friday, September 4, 2020

Camp Grandma and Grandpa + Gundam!

Monday, we drove Shane to Grandma and Grandpa's. We left and he stayed for three nights! 


We had hoped he would have a cousin spend some time with him, but he had lots of fun with Grandma and Grandpa instead.

Shane brought his school computer with him, so that he could do his typing and Japanese practice each day. Grandma and Grandpa were intrigued by the language practice. Shane said it was awkward working with them watching and cheering over his shoulder, but I'm sure he loved the attention.

The work was only for an hour each day. I'm sure he watched TV, played games, and helped cook, too. They sent Carrie some good pictures of other activities.

No visit with Grandpa is complete without Shane asking to fish. Grandpa took him fishing multiple days this time!


They only caught a total of two fish. You can see half the catch in one picture! Shane said the bass ignored their bait, but he liked hanging out at the pond with Grandpa.

It looked like there was a lot of Grandfather-Grandson bonding going on from the photos. They worked on a Lego project together (with some starts and stops!)....


...and played with model trains! Shane told me he, "helped Grandpa make water."


"You mean, like the modeling kind?"

"Yeah! We used glue and..."

Grandparents are great. Shane had a blast, they had a blast, and Carrie and I had couples time.

Carrie wanted to stop on the way home just to do something. We went into a Pier 1 Imports that was closing. They even had their shelves for sale!


We didn't really need anything, but she wanted to look. There were some odds and ends I could have seen buying....if they slashed their prices by a whole lot more.


There was a Barnes and Nobles next door that was more my style. Carrie bought a cookbook and I noticed something for Shane.

What you may not know is that Carrie likes anime. I introduced her to some series and she used that as permission to run deeper into the pool! There's one goofy anime she watched with Shane where a character really likes Gundam models. They're giant robots and B&N happened to have a few cheaper kits...


I showed Carrie and she immediately wanted to get one for Shane.

It was a surprise, of course!


We gave it to him when Carrie picked him back up on Thursday.


Gundam models are labelled as 15+. They're snap-fit, so no tools are required. The instructions were on the box.


Shane brought it over to show me mid-Zoom meeting.


Then he sat and played with it next to me while I tried to focus on work!


While not complicated, the model did require finger dexterity. I noticed Shane had "leftover parts," and took it into my own hands to fix it.


Note - I've tried to show Carrie a Gundam series or two, but she's not a fan. If there's not a dose of silly, it's not her style!

Shane's too young to watch anything Gundam, but he's enjoying the toy. How long do you think it will last?


I'd like to do more camps during the school year. The advantage of being virtual is that school can be done anywhere there's signal, so why not take advantage of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment