Sunday, June 24, 2018

Always Think, Kid

After church, Shane was looking in a fiction book. There was a photograph of some pigeons in a car with some kids. In the story, the pigeons had swooped in and taken food.

Shane was amazed. "If we drive with the windows down, birds will fly into our car and take our food!"

"Just because it's in a photograph doesn't mean it's real," I replied.

Shane could not fathom how this was possible. He kept going on and on, so I told him I'd show him some camera magic.

First, I had him lay down on the porch. Next, I told him to stretch out and put his fingers in between a board.


A quick rotate and voila! Shane was hanging on the side of a wooden wall.


He liked that.

I had him stand and hold his arms out next. Before he knew what was happening, he was fending off a giant's hand.


I love "Aha!" moments. I love moments where you're opened to whole new possibilities. It only lasted a moment, because we were literally getting in the car to go somewhere. But we both shared a moment.

Shane got to spend his allowance today. He gets $.25 on Monday for completing his chores. The money then doubles every day he does his chores and doesn't cash out. Maximum payout is $4 on Friday. The goal is to give him a goal each day (chores) and teach delayed gratification. Shane figured it out day one.


We went by the End Games on the way to Costco to let him spend his first week's haul. There was a tournament going on I wanted to take a peek at, as well. Shane bought an Incineroar GX for $4.89 + tax. I told him he'd owe me the difference.


A storm blew through when we were about to leave. The power started to flicker in the shop!


We waited. Samuel was the only other young Pokemon player there. In a way, Samuel's dad is the opposite of me. I don't mind Pokemon, but my interest is mainly out of love for Shane. Samuel's dad has gone all in on the game. He collects, plays, and netdecks.

It's a friendly community. A lady gave Shane a card he was looking at just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment