Saturday, June 2, 2018

Spring Sports Wrap-up Saturday

We were set for another rainy weekend and I was not about to let Shane sit inside all day. 

Therefore, Taekwando.


Master Kang worked on Shane's form with him before the official start. Saturday practices are a little longer (which I like!).

Shane tried on his own for a little bit, but shifted to his own exercises instead.


He loves the mirrors.


Shane had a good practice. He wasn't an angel, but he was trying to stay focused and do his thing. I was surprised when he earned his forms stripe.


I was less surprised and slightly cynical when I heard that the stripe made him eligible to test next week. Tests come with test fees. If I didn't believe Master Kang was a true believer about his school, I'd have been suspicious the test was less about merit and more about moving Shane along the business model. 

It's been half a year since Shane got his current belt, though. He does well most of the time, so I don't think it was a handout or cash grab. Shane was excited and got a big congratulations. We'll have to practice some at home to prepare.

Shane's final baseball game was scheduled for 1:30 PM. Based on the forecast, I never expected it to happen. We would have gone to visit Grandma and Grandpa, but the Volvo had a windshield issue. Then, I took Shane to the library waiting for the game to be cancelled. 

It didn't. I was prepared and had Shane's gear in the car, just in case. I don't think I was the only person to doubt the game would go on, either. Both teams looked small to start.



The kids got to play on the big field for the final game. They called up batters by name over the loudspeaker. The concession stand was by our dugout, so the other parents and I had to sit way back in the outfield.


Thunder started in the distance. You could tell the league wanted to wrap things up quick. They pushed everyone through the batting order on each side and called it quits. All the parents were hoping the rain held off with them. No one I talked to wanted a make-up next week.


Shane picked grass in the outfield, but was thrilled when he hit the first pitch. We nearly shut the other team out! Our third baseman, Jordan, managed to get two outs at the same base when the batter ran to third and met the runner coming from second base!


The kids all got called up for medals at the end.



Then they lined up for the final handshake.



It would have been nice to get another inning in, but rain seemed imminent (Or not....it went hours with thunder and not a drop after).


The coaches herded up the kids for a final debrief.


I made sure Shane walked up and thanked the coaches and the team mom afterward.


That wraps up spring sports for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment