Saturday, June 16, 2018

Beach Week! - Arrivals

We started getting text updates from family about their progress to the beach. Nana, Pop, Jama, Ed, and B were on their way from NOVA. Kathleen, Stu, Cole, Evelyn, and Tenley were driving up from SC. Matt, and Renee and Aiden would leave later.

Shane and I had the shortest drive. I planned to drive late in the afternoon to avoid traffic and spend more time at home with Carrie (She was going to miss us!).

Only Carrie was at the barn, so I hopped out a window.


Our gutters need cleaning. I popped out over the patio and went to work.


Shane was sitting on the porch and confused when it started to rain gunk. Then he was excited and wanted to join me (I'll save that for when he's a little older).


Carrie got home from the barn in time to see us off....


...and to restrain Shane from devouring all the blueberries.


Shane and I stopped in Richmond for dinner and to check traffic. There were two ways I could go. I64 was the straighter shot, but likely to be congested. The congestion would make the tunnel a stop-and-go mess. The other way would be to swing south along Hwy 460. There would be more miles and a lower speed limit, but fewer drivers.


I almost believed Google and went I64. Then my phone and the road signs all started to advertise a new wreck. Shane and I jogged down 460 instead for a quieter ride. We took about 3 hours and 45 minutes or so to arrive.

Nana sent us a text right before we arrived that they weren't at the beach house. She sent the address for a restaurant that I passed before I could safely type in the address. We turned around down the way and right before we arrived at the restaurant we received another text that Stu and Cru had a key and were at the house!

We stopped at the restaurant to say, "Hi" rather than turn around again. Shane couldn't contain himself.


He was ready. Nana said, "Pop and B went to the beach while...," and he was gone.


Shane would have jumped straight into the water fully clothed if I hadn't stopped him.


Pop and B were exploring the egg pods...,


...and beach denizens.


We walked, talked, looked at the waves, and dug in the sand.


B came solo (I'm not supposed to call him 'Baby B' anymore). Megan and Big B had work and couldn't make it this year.


We went in to say and let the dinner group eat their food. Shane and I hopped back on the road after. I'd typed the wrong house number in my maps, but Cole was on the porch of the right house looking out at us.


Again, Shane was ready.


This is the biggest beach house we've ever had. There are 8 bedrooms not including a mini-bedroom/sideroom for B. The bottom floor has 3.5 bathrooms. The top floor has 2. There are doors around every corner and a wrap-around porch, dock, and observation station on level with the roof.


It was a great view over the water and seeing the cousins together!


We got settled and everyone else got back from dinner.


The kids were hyped to see each other.


No one was going to go to bed on time the first night at the beach. At 9:00 PM, I turned on the TV to try to snag and calm the crowd.


Despicable Me did the trick (when there weren't 8 minutes straight of commercials).


Nana didn't get the memo. She was excited to see everyone, too! She brought over a box of thrift store delights.


Bedtime still hit at 9:30 PM. All that excitement can wear a kid (or an adult) out!

Beach week had begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment