Thursday, June 21, 2018

Beach Week - Aquarium Day

We can pack an obscene amount of people into Nana and Pop's van when we're driving a mile to the ocean. For real roads and more than 25 mph, we split up into two vans. I found myself wedged between B and Shane's car seats and in need of a selfie. Shane didn't want to play along.


B was game. Shane was game enough to get a hand in (from flailing at my phone!).


ADHD moment: The arm rest between Jama and Ed looks like a goofy face.


Today was our first non-beach adventure. We all went to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center.


The kids all ran around in a lizards and dragons exhibit while we checked in and got wheelchairs for Jama and Ed.


Ka, Stu, and Nana focused on kids.


Pop and I pushed wheelchairs.


It was okay trying to keep up with the pack in the beginning. The kids were all super excited and roaming about.


Being behind helped me take a few good pictures. Shane was the first to crawl in for a closer look at at a komodo dragon.


Then the others packed in!


But eventually, it was hard for Pop, Jama, Ed, and I to keep up. The museum was crowded and the hallways were narrow. We focused on enjoying the sights and moving our way forward.


I have no idea how we managed to get ahead of the group. I spotted them behind us as we were looking at a wave machine. That was right up Shane's alley!


We took a snack break and rested a moment.


No one wants hangry kids or Jamas.


We pushed our way onward in the museum. I wasn't the only one taking pictures, so I'm sure they'll show up on Facebook. Here's a picture of Kathleen taking a picture and her flash lighting up the kids for my picture.


Nana discovered the stingray petting pool on a bathroom run.


Shane was so into it he got his sleeve in the water.


It looked like he'd gone swimming by the time he was done! I love how kids get so caught up in the joy of what they're doing. I don't think Shane and Cole had a second thought about being joined by another joyful child.


Even Ed got into the picture taking.


Somehow a picture "grabbed and sucked Shane in" while we were waiting for people to finish bathroom breaks. Shane started to drag B over while Cole did his best to save him.


The boys were/are all about the physical play.

New fact: There's a mile and a half deep canyon off the coast near Norfolk. That's half again as deep as the Grand Canyon. I never knew.


We fought our way back through the crowds to attend a shark show.


Shane participated (obviously).


During the show, Matt, Renee, and Aiden joined up. Aiden had been napping and there was no way Matt and Renee were going to mess up his schedule (Carrie and I were the same way with Shane).


Jama and Ed both took naps during the presentation. I was getting droopy-eyed myself, but the pack moved on. They got to pet some horseshoe crabs on the way out.

Ed started to play around with B and ask him for a high-five when we made it out.


Then Ed tried to jerk his hand away. B went into an ultra-competitive "Oh yeah!?" mode and didn't miss with a stinging high-five! I was half-worried he was going to hurt Ed's hand!


Ed was laughing and enjoying it.

Aiden's not going to remember the Aquarium, but he enjoyed all the new people to look at. He's an eye-contact kind of guy.


Pop stopped at Wendy's with our half of the crew. Ed was kind enough to buy lunch for everyone. B was over-tired by this point. He failed to shoot the wrapper off a straw and started to tear up. He would have grabbed twenty more straws and assuaged his frustration with a machine-gun barrage, but I wouldn't let him. I stopped the tears by twisting the end of the wrapper he'd torn so that he could have a second chance to shoot my eye out.


Naps were long when we got home. B didn't want to go upstairs when he woke up. Shane, Cole, and Pop all joined him in bed for some TV.


I wasn't the only one who thought it was a cute picture opportunity.


Matt and Renee were out, so Nana and I checked in on Aiden when he woke from his nap.


Aiden's not allowed to watch TV, so he had his back to the screen.


It rained, so I didn't feel bad about letting the kids have more electronics until it was beach time.


The rain had cooled down the sand and changed the texture.


I pointed it out to Shane and he was fascinated until he found the next thing to be amazed at.


Even post rain, the water wasn't bad. It was coldest on Monday.


The kids rinsed off the sand and hopped into the pool the moment we got home.


Shane discovered Indy would chase the water stream from a water gun.


B discovered that Pop would launch into the pool clothes and all to surprise him!


It was the first time I'd seen Pop hop in!


I didn't get a chance to see how the judges scored his cannonball. They were all laughing, at least.


The boys latched on immediately.



And the girls stayed with Kathleen.


I texted Carrie we were all swimming. Carrie texted, "Make sure you keep an eye on Shane!"

Indy jumped in right after. I had to 'rescue' her when she found she couldn't get out the same way she'd came in.

Funny moment: Shane wanted to show me his three "wave techniques." First, there was 'Shallow.' Next was 'Big.'


The third might have been 'Tidal,' but Pop ambushed him from behind! Shane got mad and tried to chase and splash a retaliation!


Pop and I couldn't stop laughing. We'd made eye contact after Shane asked me to watch. I kept Shane engaged with me as Pop creeped up behind. I'm giggling about it now as I type this. It's my family's kind of humor!


The kids stayed out until it was past 8 PM. You can see how the pool pictures got darker. It darkened further as they got bedtime snacks and cooled down for bed.


The Howletts started to say their goodbyes right before bedtime. If Stu has his way, they'd be on the road and gone by the time everyone was waking up. They had the longest drive this year (especially including pit stops).

No comments:

Post a Comment