Thursday, April 11, 2019

It Was a Good Day

Today was a field trip day at work. Most of the kids were gone and I had a few quiet kids who were in the mood to work. 

Math was done. Distractions were few.

It was glorious.

I taught one kid Star Realms and we played a round. The other kid is usually super quiet, but he tried to open up and talk more. He mentioned that he'd played Magic: The Gathering before (a card game). He also played basketball for the first time and started a rivalry with our security officer.

I ended up giving the shy kid a ride home before the bus got back. I asked him which way he normally walked home and we retraced his steps (I made sure to comment on the size of the hill he complained about, etc).

As we drove, I realized the kid went way out of his way. Instead of a direct route, he went up a hill, paralleled the direct route, and then walked back down the other side. When I asked why, the student said there was a tunnel that he was afraid to go through.

When a quiet, teenage boy says there's something he's afraid of that should spark some interest. 

I replied, "Well, let's check it out while we're in the car. I like trying to figure out something new. You're never more alive when you're learning."

So we drove through the tunnel, looked around, discovered the routes he could walk to and from school and suddenly it was no big deal.

I got back to school and Mr. Hill pulled up with the Jaunt bus......and then offered to take a bunch of the kids home while he returned it. Almost everyone left except one kid who voluntarily stayed to work (and earn himself a 'Student of the Week' recommendation from me and Ms. Craig, the English teacher).

It was a good day. 

I came home to a loving wife and then picked up an awesome son who got to play outside in beautiful weather with some cool neighborhood kids.


Definitely the type of day that puts a little air in your sails.

No comments:

Post a Comment