Monday, April 15, 2019

True Spring

Spring is starting to feel like spring! Just in time for team picture day, too.


I feel bad for the photographer. He came out to our practice just to take a picture of four kids.


A fifth ran up later, but the odds of him selling any photos are slim.

Raheem and a couple of other kids walked up to play basketball when we got home. I sat on the porch and Shane half joined in.


I say half, because Shane wasn't playing basketball. First, he wanted to get the ball, spin around, and throw it. Then, he wanted to be a zombie who would tackle other players. Then...I don't even remember what else was going on. I called him aside. I told him that he should jump in the basketball game, but asked him not to run side games that interfered with their game. We had a short talk about "why," and the game went on.


Shane enjoyed it for a while, but then left to climb a tree (a great, spring activity!). He started to call from the tree top with things like "Look at me!" "See how high I am!" and "I'm a great climber!"


I can't remember if I called out or not. I know I thought, "They're in the middle of a basketball game! You don't need to call out, and I doubt they'll join you. Just focus on having fun and the rest will work out!"

Well, I was partly wrong. The kids did stop their basketball game and switch to climbing!


Shane chortled, shook the tree, and made sure he was the highest up. I'm surprised the tree held them all!


It was a moment I was happy to see....though I did think, "It's no wonder he likes to call out, 'look at me!' All the kids do!"

Eventually, it was time for dinner and a shower. Shane went to bed properly tired from playing as all kids should.

No comments:

Post a Comment