Sunday, May 26, 2019

Golden Apple Award

One of my students asked, "What does a golden apple look like?" I described it, but decided to take a picture later.

Golden apples are highly reflective.


A flash fixed that problem.


And, of course, I've been thinking.

Carrie was mad at me, because I didn't go to the Golden Apple ceremony again. She felt it was disrespectful and I disagreed.

The ceremony was scheduled for the Thursday night before we moved out (or so we thought) and Shane had a swim lesson. I didn't want to dress up and sit around for a couple of hours for a stranger to take two minutes to hand me something, so I said I wasn't going. If the point of the apple was to honor teachers, I felt appreciated I was nominated. There was no need to waste my time or theirs with a ceremony I wouldn't appreciate. It's not like any of my coworkers or students would be there (My boss might have been required to attend if she wasn't at home with the flu).

Hilariously, Silas and Monica were there! She was getting an award. Silas texted, "You coming?" He said he was tempted to walk up for me as a joke when they called my name.

He didn't, but I would have died laughing! It would have been the only reason to go in my mind! White guy with a short beard? Here ya go, "Mike."

Both times I've been acknowledged for being a good teacher in Cville I have not felt like a good teacher. I've felt like a man tired and under pressure who's making mistakes and doesn't always know what to do. I've felt like I'm trying to do my best and to not burn out at the same time. I've felt heavily invested and when kids hit bumps I've felt reverberations.

Right now, I'm teaching up to my last days in the city and it feels like the success of the past four years are riding on the next five days.

That's not logical.

And yet, I can't deny those feelings are there. I do my best not to entertain them and "take captive every thought." I have felt successful before (like at my first round of January SOLs year 1), but feelings shift.

I want my foundation to be on firm ground (Matthew 7:24-27). I think that's been the key to my successes at LMA (when they've happened). I typically feel secure in who I am and who I serve. I look at conflicts as information rather than threats and look to work forward rather than react defensively.

That's enough for now. There are deadlines, a form I messed up that's causing trouble, and kids floating on the cusp of graduating. Best to get to it rather than delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment