Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Coming Down Day

There's been a lot going on, so we had a forced 'coming down' day. Shane needed to do his reading and some chores before he could have electronics and we didn't plan to go anywhere. I believe in 'healthy boredom.'

The kid nearly drove us crazy.

Shane really wanted electronics and didn't want to work for them. Second best was attention, so he did everything from positive to annoying to get it. "Did you see me do _____?" and "Can you come see me do ______?" and poke, poke, poke! He'd jump all over us!

I made sure to listen and interact, but did you know my son can talk for over half an hour about Hearthstone or Pokemon with minimal pauses for air? All I had to do was nod, grunt, and occasionally ask questions or make eye contact. I pulled out my phone to surreptitiously time him.

I don't know if Shane got so much attention when he was younger he learned to love it or if he just needs more energy and attention than we can give! I wish we knew some kids around New Kent, but Grandma and Grandpa's crowd doesn't seem connected to any in reach. I'd hoped we could use the community pool here, but that's a bust.

It was supposed to be a rest day, but I'm tired! It was a mostly successful 'boring' day. I started to catch up on the blog, but it's hard to write when someone is talking in your ear every other word. Carrie's still on edge from everything that's happened, so her patience was short for hyper-active, space invasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment