Thursday, June 13, 2019

Riding Lessons

I was the official photographer for Shane's riding lessons this week. He's been riding, Jasmin, a thirty-two year old pony who will apparently put up with almost anything (except tightening her girth). 


The facility was right near our home and quite expansive.


Carrie signed Shane up for private lessons to help him be more knowledgeable before we were barn owners.


Shane's got the natural, McRuari balance and body control. Keeping his seat isn't a problem at all. He can post without stirrups.


Focus, attention to detail, and measuring his actions are where he struggles. He was pulling and jerking on the rains so much that I noticed it and had to resist calling out. I looked over at Carrie and she was biting her lip!


Carrie (wisely) thought it would be better for her and Shane if she hired someone else to train him rather than do it herself. It was still an exercise in patience whenever Shane wasn't at the top of his game.

Here's Shane taking a nap on Jasmin's back.


I looked away for one second and he was on backwards at the end.


It's pretty funny after the fact! Shane seemed to amuse his teacher, too (Good humor must have been included in the rate we paid...).

We all walked down to the large arena together at the end. Carrie helped when Jasmin picked up a rock in her shoe.


King, the trainer's dog, went for a swim.


Here he is dripping underneath Jasmin's belly.


I can't remember if this was before or after Jasmin stopped to pee. Shane was amazed at how much a horse lets loose at once!


The riding portion of the lesson was done, but horsecare comes next. Shane dangled from Jasmin's back before he finally dismounted and got to it (I don't know how he decided horses are the perfect mattress for naps).


He had a little trouble figuring out how to carry the saddle until Carrie gave him some pointers.


I'd say it was a successful lesson!


Brushing was next. I'd rate Shane's job as: Jasmin's either tired or a saint. Possibly both.


Carrie asked me to take Shane solo on Thursday, so she could pack up the kitchen. Otherwise, Shane would never have been allowed to climb! I wouldn't let him jump down or do anything sudden if a horse was around.


Today's lesson would be a trail ride.


Lynn, Shane, and King went to do some walking and trotting around the arena to warm up.


A pair of girls came down riding bareback to join them.


And then they were off! I didn't see Shane for nearly an hour. That made me a little anxious, but I played on my phone to pass the time. It was a good thing Carrie had stayed home!

The ladies and Shane rode up happy and healthy. Shane had told the girls about a rivalry between deer and snakes in the bamboo in our backyard. Apparently, the deer can stomp the snakes into smithereens? Ha! I don't know where he got all that from, but he loved the attention and they laughed at the story.


There was a moment of excitement when King came running out through the bushes and startled all the horses. Shane kept his seat and got a thumbs up from Lynn.

I had to resist the urge to walk over and help Shane put Jasmin up in the cross ties. It's in my nature to want to do something, but the goal is for him to learn. That takes experience.


Shane is doing better. I wouldn't trust him with just any horse (or just any horse with him), but he may be useful next summer.


Shane got to ride in the gator and help take the horses up to pasture. You can tell he felt cool!


The other horse is Bear. He's Jasmin's "husband," and they're the only pair of married horses I've ever seen (there's a story there).


Shane really loved being in the thick of the hustle and bustle. If he continues, the social element will be as important as the riding component to him (if not more!).


The girls helped show Shane the ropes and put away his gear at the end.


Lynn invited Carrie to come and go on a trail ride with Shane Friday. I thought it was a nice gesture and culminating experience to the week, so I passed on the message post haste. 

Carrie and Shane went Friday at 2 PM right before we cleared out of the house. I stayed behind for a final storage unit run and to pack up the Volvo.


Turns out the trail ride wasn't free, but they had a great time. Carrie said most new riders would have been tired or complaining about being sore after an hour and fifteen minutes in the saddle. Shane was ready for more. She said he even accidentally broke into a few canter steps and kept his balance!

I don't think we'll do any more trail rides, but Shane may end up taking group lessons at some point in the future. It could be a good mother-son bonding experience. I'll take the back seat on it. I don't know if it's all the dust from moving, the horses, being behind on my shots, or a burgeoning cold but my sinuses are acting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment