Thursday, July 11, 2019

Working Out 2

It started here.

Goals:
Habitually exercise more than once a week. Preferably three times (M - W - F or S)
Add in some pulling exercises
Get in better shape



6/15/19 - Grandma and Grandpa's - Upstairs Bathroom

Warm-up: Walked a mile and a half with Carrie back from fishing pond.
Push-ups: 30-15-10 (no perfect push-up grips)
Squats: 40-20-20 (went easy due to walking a mile and a half as a warm-up)
Sit-ups: 40 - 1:30 plank (front) - 0:45 side planks
Calf raises: 30-30-30
Notes: My push-up # went up without using the grips. Might go down next time. They make it harder. Switched to planks after using Shane's air mattress to anchor my feet was less convenient than expected.

6/19/19 - Beach house - Small area bed-side in Shane and I's room.

Warm-up: 60 jumping jacks and some random movement.
Push-ups: 27-13-6
Squats: 50-30-20
Planks: 1:15 - 1:00 - 0:45
Calf raises: 30-30-30
Notes: Trying to switch to twice a week. We'll see how I feel. I felt fine after this workout and the last.

6/22/19 - Grandma and Grandpa's - Upstairs Bathroom

Warm-up: Random running around, jumping jacks, wrestling stance movement to Pretender - Foo Fighters
Push-ups: 28-13-8 (2 min rest)
Planks: 1:55 - 1:23 - 1:08 (1.5 min rest)
Squats: 60-30-23 (2 min rest)
Calf raises: 30-30-30 (1 min rest)
Notes: I wrote down the times I did everything. It took an hour to psyche myself up, work out, cool down, and shower off. I go upstairs to be alone and unobserved.
Playlist: "Jesus in Disguise," "The River," "Lifesong," "Grace Wins," "Till the Day I Die," "Invincible," "Awake and Alive," "Steal My Show"

6/26/19 - Grandma and Grandpa's - Upstairs Bathroom

Initial work-out mood: "I don't wanna." Snotty. Allergies.
Warm-up: Random movement to Tom Petty "Won't Back Down"
Push-ups: 30-15-9
Planks: 2:10 - 1:00? - 1:38 (Phone shut off mid song 2nd rep and I don't know exactly)
Squats: 61-31-25
Calf raises: 30-30-30
Post work out: Glad I did it. Contemplating how it's always a battle to start even when I know the outcome. Took an hour again including stretching, cool down, protein drink, and shower.
Playlist: "Invincible," "Bring Me to Life," "Sick-Cycle Carousel," Forgiveness," "Warrior," "In the Light"
Milestone: Back to where I started! Did the number of push-ups I did Day 1 that injured me. Only I'm not injured this time.

6/29/19 - Grandma and Grandpa's - Upstairs Bathroom

Initial work-out mood: "Get started before you think about it." While warming up: "Can I get through this faster? Can I be more efficient?" Then part way through the (faster) first push-up set I thought, "Is this going to be a plateau day?"
Warm-up:  Lots of jogging, shuffling, and jumping around a tight space with frequent turns
Push-ups: 29.5 - 14 - 9.5 (1.5 min rest)
Planks: 1:30 - 1:45 - 1:00 (1.5 min rest)
Squats: 60-30-30 (1.5 min rest)
Calf raises: 30-30-35 (1 min rest)
Post work out: Walked downstairs to type in data, get drink, stretched.
Playlist: Played Daftpunk "Faster, Stronger, Better" for warm-up.
Notes: I know I'm going to hit a plateau at some point. Then I'll have to decide to maintain, put more thought, or put more energy into it. Today wasn't quite one due to the decreased rest times. If I can be more efficient with my time I can add in another exercise or two as I get stronger. Checked my weight beforehand: I'm up to 161. Some may be muscle, some may be from eating poorly.

7/4/19 - Grandma and Grandpa's - Upstairs Bathroom - Happy 4th!

Initial work-out mood: "I'm already hot and sweaty, so I may as well do this." Shane came in to shower and such. I would have preferred some solitude, but sometimes an audience pushes you. I hope he remembers me making an effort more than anything else.
Warm-up:  Two hours of fishing with Shane. I was sweaty at least.
Push-ups: 32 - 16 - 10 (1.5 min rest)
Squats: 65-31-30 (1.5 min rest)
Planks: 0:50 - Legs were shaky and I stopped. Switched to...
Crunches + Flutter kicks:
             Round 1 40 crunches, rest, 1 minute of flutter kicks (Shane came in).
             Round 2 20 crunches, ~30+ seconds of flutter kicks (no rest)
Calf raises: 35-35-35 (1 min rest)
Post work out: Walked downstairs to get drink, sauntered back up, and stretched.
Notes: Workout was a day late. Still rest time until the Saturday workout. The numbers say I'm going up and I'm glad for the data! I get to the "push through and don't give up!"/"Can I really do one more?" point every time. Usually it hits multiple times and I'm surprised when I can get one more closer to the goal. Pushing yourself safely to a fail point is good, but it feels like I get there every time and it's not encouraging in the moment.

7/6/19 - Grandma and Grandpa's - Upstairs Bathroom

Initial mood: Hungry, tired, and feeling a little off from all the eating for Patrick's bachelor party
Warm-Up: Ran to get the mail and ended up jogging around the driveway for a few minutes. It was so hot and humid I was having trouble getting air!
Push-Ups: 33-16-11 (1.5 min rest now standard)
Squats: 66-31-30
BREAK. I took 5 minutes to catch my breath and try to slow my heart rate
Calf raises: 35-35-35 (1 min rest)
Crunches: 50-30-30 (1.5 min rest)
Notes: Trying to figure out core workout that won't be hindered by fatigue from others. Arms and legs give out some during planks when it's later in the workout.

7/11/19 - Grandma and Grandpa's - Upstairs Bathroom - One Day late

Initial mood: Sleepy. False Call Fire Alarm woke me up at 4:42 AM.
Warm-Up: 60 jumping jacks, ran around for three minutes.
Crunches then Flutter Kicks: 50 / 20 (4 count) - 40 / 20(4) - 30 / 20(4)  (1.5 min rest)
Push-Ups: 34*-14*-10 (1.5 min rest - Failed trying to get 35 and 15)
Squats: 65-30-20* (Heart racing and starting to get nauseous - took 2 min breaks)
Calf raises: 35 (Got nauseous and quit after 1 set instead of pushing it)
Notes: Not great, but not terrible. Didn't skip at least. Quit a little early

EVALUATION:
Went up from 1 time a week to 2 times.
Numbers have gone up. Was doing 28 push-ups 1st rep with grips. Now 34. Squats went from 50 to 65. Calf raises 35.
No pulling exercise.
Cut down rest time in between sets from 2 minutes to 1.5 minutes (most of the time).

Weighed in at 160 lbs before working out. Ironic, because I've been 162 or 163 most of the week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment