Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Barn Kittens - Behind the Scenes

The story of our new barn kittens started with a post from Sonya.


Sonya is an "animal lady." People tell her when there's abandoned horses in fields, dogs needing new homes, or stray kittens come calling.

Sonya's neighbor had noticed that there were some new balls of fluff frequenting her property. She put out some food and when she got a good look she passed the word on.

Sonya answered the call.


However, it turned out there was more than one kitten to be concerned about.


Living on a ranch with a husband who occasionally enjoys hunting left her well equipped for the task at hand. We certainly don't have game cameras lying about.


Sonya caught two more kittens two days after the first catch. She thought she had them all, but a fourth kitten was waiting in the wings.

Kitten #4 held out for a couple of more days before Sonya caught it.


Kittens #1, #2, and #3 adapted quickly to Sonya and their new home. #4 was shyer.


Of course, Carrie was following along on Facebook the whole time. She was ooing and aahing over all the cuteness.


Which is why I started to see the writing on the wall before Sonya started looking for new homes (she has plenty of animals).


"You cannot drive down to Sonya's to pick up any kittens," I said.

"Okay," Carrie said.

I didn't need to look hard to see the gears turning as she processed my exact words.

I said it that way for a reason, too. I assumed kittens were going to appear, but I wanted to have some control of the situation. Carrie's really wanted Sonya to come and visit our barn. Sonya's somewhat of a physical recluse. She'll post online and talk on the phone, but leave the property? In these times? She hadn't come to visit Annie, Nibs, or Pippin. 

I didn't necessarily want more cats, but I did want dead mice and a happy wife. Shane would probably gush over kittens, too.


I wasn't surprised when Carrie told me Sonya was going to come for a visit. "And she's bringing a kitten, right?"

".....kittens."

That was unexpected, at least. Not surprising in retrospect and knowing Carrie, but I missed the possibility on the first go around!

We adopted kittens #1 and #4. Sonya named them Aria (#1) because she was so vocal and Burrito (#4). Both kittens are girls, so we don't have to rush and neuter anyone before they cross-pollinate and have me swimming in cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment