Thursday, July 30, 2020

I saw it on Youtube

I saw a video and got inspired.

A guy on Youtube wanted to see how much he could improve with a bow in 30 days. He discussed his method (I like experiments!), showed his data (I like data!), and got better (I like learning!).

So I decided to do something similar. I like having projects and goals. 

I planned to chronicle it here.

Basic safety: Loki had to stay in the house. Sorry, bud.


Goals: Do something physical and improve my shot. Keep boredom at bay.

Scoring: I decided hitting the target was worth 1 point. Each ring in the center was worth an additional point until reaching the bullseye (with a maximum value of 5 points).


I wanted to shoot 100 shots for easy percentages, but the total daily shots became 88. I had 22 arrows (sadly not all of the same make) and fired them all off in four sets. I'd have fired more, but I got injured (discussed later).

Equipment: I started with one bow, but it broke maybe halfway through the first set!


I had to grab our other bow. Far from ideal circumstances for gathering baseline data.


I have 22 arrows. Unfortunately, they're not all identical nor the highest quality. 16 are wood (and some have dubious fletching). 6 are an alloy and feel much lighter.

Personnel: Shane offered to "help" in the beginning. He lasted for the first 22 shots and then went inside for the AC!


Setup: I drew a line two posts north of the gate (Which Shane drew over and I couldn't find it later).


I set the target two posts south of the gate. Later, I measured the distance at about 35 feet.


Ideally, I could've set the target up on something off the ground. I wanted it to be on something firm, so it wouldn't knock the target over and require constant fixing. The sun and the son sapped my brain power and I couldn't think of anything at the time. I threw up a few blocks behind the target to keep it in place.


Data:

1st set -  I scored 12 points on the first set (9 x 1 pt each and 1 x 3 pts). I almost had to count from the picture.


I couldn't find the right page in the right notebook at first. I did find plenty of Shane's drawings.



Being on the ground may have skewed my results upward. I had a few shots that I think skittered off the ground into the target. I had one total submarine I didn't count (and I'd have more in future sets).


2nd set - I scored 15 pts (9 x 1 pt, 1 x 2 pts, and 1 x 4 pts).


3rd set - I scored 19 points, my high of the day (14 x 1 pt, 1 x 2 pts, and 1 x 3 pts).


I noticed my finger hurt on the 3rd set. A blister had formed and ripped open. I didn't want to quit with only 66 shots of data, so I opted to use my bottom three fingers for my release on the 4th set.


4th set - I rushed this set. It was hot and my finger hurt. I only scored 9 points (9 x 1 pt each).


Starting data:


Thoughts:
I'm not a good shot. Which is why I'm doing this.

I may need a better bow. The first one broke. It feels like the shots all arc left and that the draw strength and length aren't optimal. It could be me, though. I'm trying to work on having good form, but I'm certainly not a veteran.

I need to develop calluses or protect my hand. I took some time off to let my finger heal and decided to go back with gloves until my skin thickens a little.

Carrie had a great idea. "Why not wait for the shade?"  It turned out a better idea in theory than in practice, though. Several nights, Micayla came to ride Abby and/or Carrie rode, as well. I couldn't shoot around horses. On other nights, the arena was free by the time there was shade, but I was tired, busy, or forgot.

I'm not going to be able to do this level of a write-up every time. I need to set a consistent time and procedure to get good data and hopefully see the best improvement. I'd like to consistently score at least 100 points. The 1 pt area is much larger than all the others, so 88 pts would mean I'm hitting the target reliably. If I could score near 196 pts that would mean I'm hitting the target circle reliably.

No comments:

Post a Comment